OpenAL DLL Issue - GFLW3

Monkey Targets Forums/Desktop/OpenAL DLL Issue - GFLW3

Richard Betson(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hi,

Edit - I think I have the issue solved.

Thanks,

Soap(Posted 2015) [#2]
Please don't edit out your problems when you solve them. Instead explain problem and solution so other people can find it in the future. I suspect installing the OpenAL redistributable included with Monkey solved your problem.

Richard Betson(Posted 2015) [#3]
It did. Will do. I had the wrong link to it thinking it was the right one.

dawlane(Posted 2015) [#4]
Instead of using an out date version of OpenAL. Download OpenAL-Soft and build it from source. You can then build both a 32/64 bit libraries. By all accounts it's actually faster than the attempt from Creative Labs and is actively being developed.

Side note. While going through the process of cleaning and updating the SDK's on my hard drive. I did come across this. I haven't fully check this out, so caveat.

Soap(Posted 2015) [#5]
The one they have hosted there is from 2009. It still works, but not updated as you say.

http://kcat.strangesoft.net/openal.html

This you mean? It's good that there is a future with it. Would be nice if they distributed a redistributable silent installer too. If they did that then I could get it on Steam for devs to use and maybe to replace the old official OpenAL redistributable.

dawlane(Posted 2015) [#6]
Yes that's the one. It's also hosted on sourceforge and the same source should be available on the Linux repositories (as this is what Linux uses for OpenAL software). I should point out that the destructions for this software state that some applications that expect the Creative Labs version and they may choke and die if you install it system wide named as OpenAL32. If it has to go system wide then you can leave the name as it is and change the project linker settings to use it.

It shouldn't be too hard to create your own silent installer with NSIS.