compile for Mac and Linux on Windows

Monkey Targets Forums/Desktop/compile for Mac and Linux on Windows

lom(Posted 2014) [#1]
Unfortunately I don't have any computers with Mac or Linux on it, so I want to compile Mac and Linux versions of my game on Windows. But I don't know if it's possible to do it while being on Windows.

EdzUp(Posted 2014) [#2]
For this at least on Linux I would use a Virtual Machine (VM) like VirtualPC etc, you can then install Linux on that.

OSX is a different kettle of fish there is hackintosh floating around but I would recommend finding a trusted friend that has a mac and compiling that way.

MikeHart(Posted 2014) [#3]
With Monkey you are not able to do a cross compiling for other platforms on one platform. You have to do this on the target platform. Using a VM for Linux is a good way. For OSX you could use a cloud solution where you rent a Mac. But be aware that dealing with developer certificates (reinstalling them) is quite a hassle and if you don't own the machine, I could imagine it will give more problems than do anything good in the long run.

ImmutableOctet(SKNG)(Posted 2014) [#4]
Here's the thing, Monkey will work great on all of its supported platforms, but you could still find occasional bugs or compatibility problems with builds. Making a build for each target on those targets (And testing them) is a very good idea. But, if you must do this, there was an old modification for this posted as a pull request by Pharmhaus. Cross building from a target-native perspective is a different problem. You probably can't get away with that for Macs, though. Linux might work.

Just use a VM, or run the operating systems on real hardware.

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#5]
If you know what you are doing. You should be able build for Windows using the MinGW compiler ported to OSX and Linux. Or alternatively use the WINE ports for those two operating systems or a virtual machine. But trying to build for OSX with Windows, Linux or a VM running OSX will give you head aches. It's always best to use original hardware running those operating systems.

Soap(Posted 2014) [#6]
I do a lot of builds and if you are working professionally I highly recommend getting small machines for testing and building which are only for these tasks. A recently made Mac mini with dual boot or even triple boot is enough. $499 investment - do not need most upgrades they offer. Only upgrade I'd make is to get an SSD kit and install an SSD drive instead, then switching OS is super fast. So about $600 to have a machine which can do most of the builds you need: Win, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS ...