Compiling fails; make is not recognized

Monkey Targets Forums/Desktop/Compiling fails; make is not recognized

Htbaa(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hi,

I just installed Monkey X Pro on my Windows 8.1 laptop. So far I can build Android, HTML5, Windows 8, Windows 8 Phone and the XNA target. I've got VS2012 and VS2010 C# Express installed.

But when I want to build a Desktop target I get this:

C:\MonkeyXPro78h\Bin\transcc_winnt.exe -run -config=debug -target=Desktop_Game -modpath="C:\MonkeyXPro78h\modules;C:\MonkeyXPro78h\modules_ext;C:\MonkeyXPro78h\modules_ext" "C:\MonkeyXPro78h\bananas\devolonter\matchup\matchup.monkey"
TRANS monkey compiler V1.68
Parsing...
Semanting...
Translating...
Building...
'make' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
TRANS FAILED: Error executing 'make CCOPTS="-Wno-free-nonheap-object" OUT="Debug/MonkeyGame"', return code=1
Abnormal program termination. Exit code: -1

Now I've also tried installing MinGW with Jungle IDE's built in installer and after setting the path to MinGW I still get the same response. Both from the official Monkey IDE and from Jungle IDE.

I've got more or less the same software setup on my Windows 7 desktop which didn't have any issues compiling the desktop target. I've also checked all paths inside the config.winnt.txt file and all are fine.

What am I missing?

Pharmhaus(Posted 2014) [#2]
You could try to include C:\MinGW\bin (or whatever your path looks like) in the PATH system environment variable.

Edit: I remember that the 64bit version of MinGW has a different name for make, maybe it's the 64bit edition?

Htbaa(Posted 2014) [#3]
Thanks. Just checked the directory and it's named mingw32-make.exe. Guess I can rename that.

I also figured out how to make it use VS C++. The directory C:\MinGW existed, but the actual path to MinGW is C:\MinGW\MinGW. But the former was included in the config.winnt.txt file. Excluding that and it used VS C++. Gonna see if renaming mingw32-make.exe to make.exe and restoring the MinGW path will let me build with MinGW.

Edit: oh, it's building successfully with MinGW, but not with VS C++. No biggy though.

Sub_Zero(Posted 2014) [#4]
You could try installing targets using the automatic target installer... have a look in the beginners forum...

Htbaa(Posted 2014) [#5]
I did, with the installer that comes with Jungle IDE. Anyway, I can compile with MinGW now so that's great.