OpenAL installer or dll.

Monkey Targets Forums/Desktop/OpenAL installer or dll.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#1]
Wondering, when releasing to desktop which is the preferred option, add the openAL installer to your package or simply include the dll.

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#2]
The safest thing to do is to add separate installer that's executed from the main installer to avoid any licensing issues. Including the dynamic library directly could breach a license agreement. I think that the Creative OpenAL installer can be freely distributed, I would have to check on that. But the dll on it's own isn't.
An OpenAL-Soft (LGPG) version built as a dynamic library that's distributed with the application could be a bit of a grey area. But if I understand the license correctly it can be distributed as a separate file as long as the relevant source code etc is readily available. This could possibly be created as a separate installer that has an option to install the source code for that OpenAL-Soft version, but again this install file would have to be made readily available.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#3]
All this openal stuff is getting annoying. :/ thanks for the info will be adding the installer we get with monkey ..

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#4]
I wouldn't say "All this openal stuff is getting annoying".
I would say "All this license stuff and OpenAL from Creative Labs is getting annoying". To find any information you have to seriously dig around the creative labs forum. It would be faster installing some compiler tools and building OpenAL-Soft than getting clear information from there.

Nobuyuki(Posted 2014) [#5]
Agreed. Especially if creative has abandoned openAL.

Soap(Posted 2014) [#6]
The license agreement for OpenAL is in the very start of the installer... which is included with Monkey in the GLFW target folder.

"Creative Labs, Inc. is providing you with this OpenAL32.dll installer and other OpenAL files ("Software"). You may use and freely integrate with your software applications and distribute such throughout the world at no cost or further obligation to Creative."

It is very explicit. You won't get in trouble if you want to include the installer, or just the dll. I choose to silently run the installer during the main installation of everything.