Where's the desktop target ?

Monkey Targets Forums/Desktop/Where's the desktop target ?

Drex(Posted 2014) [#1]
Just downloaded and installed Monkey X Pro, but I cant see the desktop target in the drop down menu ?

The desktop target was on the demo version, but I can't seem to see it on the licensed version.

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#2]
Which version number did you download. The Desktop version was originally named GLFW. Now it's Desktop.

Drex(Posted 2014) [#3]
Just downloaded 76d,I can see GLFW in the drop down menu, but not desktop ?

Thanks...

Drex(Posted 2014) [#4]
Sorry, I think I downloaded the wrong one by mistake.

I downloaded MonkeyPro76d instead of MonkeyX77a ?

Drex(Posted 2014) [#5]
Bit of confusion here....

Monkey X 77a is the demo version ?

Monkey Pro 76d is a licensed version ( but does NOT have desktop option in the drop down menu )

Monkey X Pro 77d is a licensed version ( but DOES have the desktop option )

The next problem was that it didn't want to compile with the licensed version, but it did with the demo version ?

Copied the MiniGW folder from the demo version to the licensed version, and it seems to be working :)

Don't know if this was the right thing to do ?

Any helpful pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks.

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#6]
Monkey Pro 76d is a licensed version ( but does NOT have desktop option in the drop down menu )
Monkey X Pro 77d is a licensed version ( but DOES have the desktop option )
The name is to change after 76d to reflect the new forum layout. You see this on the community forum page Desktop target discussion (formerly GLFW target discussion). The version 77(x) onwards is the experimental version currently at 77d and should not really be used for production release as it could be unstable.

The next problem was that it didn't want to compile with the licensed version, but it did with the demo version ?
Copied the MiniGW folder from the demo version to the licensed version, and it seems to be working :)
The licensed version does not come with MinGW. For a number of reasons. 1) If every Monkey version file archive had MinGW as part of it's package. It would increase the download size and take up space on the server. 2) As MonkeyPro is a commercial product and the demo is I think under a different license. It would clash with the MinGW License.
Don't know if this was the right thing to do ?
It really doesn't matter. You could just as easily have downloaded and installed MinGW from the official site or one of the other MinGW forks.
There's nothing stopping you from using Microsoft Visual Studio or the VS Express versions either.

Drex(Posted 2014) [#7]
Thanks for clearing that all up for me :)

Will have a mess about with programming for the desktop, then later I will try and install all the components
needed for the Android target.

I presume there is no Android target in the drop down menu, as I haven't installed "Android SDK, Java and ANT"
yet, and then I would need to make sure that the PATHS in the config file point to them correctly ?

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#8]
I presume there is no Android target in the drop down menu, as I haven't installed "Android SDK, Java and ANT"
yet, and then I would need to make sure that the PATHS in the config file point to them correctly ?
Yes. And once you have the Android SDK you will need to run the SDK Manager and then select the Android 3.2 (API13).

Drex(Posted 2014) [#9]
Thanks for everything,I have monkeyx compiling to my phone via Dropbox :)