Just want an EXE to distribute

Monkey Targets Forums/Desktop/Just want an EXE to distribute

benmc(Posted 2013) [#1]
Help :)

All I want is a standalone EXE I can give to someone to download and run and the game will just play. Is this possible? I try to run the EXE in my build/glfw/Release folder, but it won't run unless I run from within TED.

Any advice would be welcome, thank you!

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#2]
The EXE should run just the same from TED and from the Windows Explorer. Just be sure to distribute it altogether with its data folder. Otherwise game media won't be available to the EXE and it will fail to run.

benmc(Posted 2013) [#3]
I got it working, but it required a few extra files.

I build using MinGW in TED, and it runs fine every time. But when I go to the build folder, then to glfw\gcc_winnt\Release and try to run MonkeyGame.exe I get the error:

The program can't start because libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

So I copied libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll to the Release folder, and got the error again, but for libstdc++-6.dll, and copied that file to the folder too (both from the MinGW/bin folder) and then it worked.

benmc(Posted 2013) [#4]
NOTE: I've decided not to statically link the DLL's because of them possibly being GPL or LGPL licensed (not sure which - if any???)

I'm just thinking that someone should be able to create their own versions of these DLL's to replace the ones I use if they want from the original source for them.

Does anyone know more about MinGW and these DLL's and their open source license in regards to distributing our software made with them?

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#5]
EXE's compiled with MingW doesn't need any DLLs. There is something wrong going on. Maybe you're using a wrong version of MingW?

benmc(Posted 2013) [#6]
The EXE requires libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll and libstdc++-6.dll which were found in the MinGW bin folder. I can statically link them, but I don't know the licenses of these DLL's so I didn't, I just include them in a zip until I find some install wizard software that may work for me.

If you try to run the EXE from a computer without MinGW installed or its binaries not in the path, and the dll's haven't been statically linked, you will probably see the errors that they are required. Maybe they are needed by Mojo or something.