Use Monkey for a utility with a simple GUI?

Monkey Targets Forums/Desktop/Use Monkey for a utility with a simple GUI?

quantum(Posted 2013) [#1]
This may be off topic, primarily as most discussion is about game dev, but I wondered what advice you would give to me when trying to make an OSX utility in monkey?

The utility needs the following features:
- Access to sockets
- Ability to register and detect OSX wide hotkey presses
- Have a simple GUI

And no it's not a virus...

Could it be done in Monkey? Or is this a bad idea and should I be using Xojo (aka Real Basic) or PureBasic or CrazyBananaBasic, etc

DruggedBunny(Posted 2013) [#2]
You'd have to implement those last two features yourself in Monkey, so I'd personally use PureBasic or BlitzMax, but neither has built-in functions to detect global keypresses.

I know how to detect global hotkeys in Windows for these two, but that's for specific keys that you register to receive notification on -- not sure how you'd detect *any* old keypress.

With either of PB or 'Max, you'd still have to find out the equivalent function call/s for OS X to detect hotkeys/arbitrary keypresses (if that's even possible), but I basically know nothing about calling OS functions on Macs...

quantum(Posted 2013) [#3]
Thanks for the help! I want to set 4 hot keys on load and detect when they're pressed (even when the program is not active) so exactly as you describe.

I thought monkey had socket methods? Using blitzmax sounds better than purebasic as I know the developer's track record and community. No love for real basic / xojo?

What's the debugger like in BM? How about the GUI builder?

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#4]
BlitzMax's debugger is good.
No GUI builder unless you use something like:
http://jsp.logiczone.de/

Monkey does have sockets.

TeaBoy(Posted 2013) [#5]
What's wrong with purebasic? You obviously haven't been around the pb forum recently. The latest release is very stable. Great bit of kit.

nikoniko(Posted 2013) [#6]
I found working example for global keyboard hook for MacOSX on PB's forum.