GLFW basic sample won't run...

Monkey Targets Forums/Desktop/GLFW basic sample won't run...

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#1]
I tried a simple test,on the computers at my university... couldn't run anything!

First, it just popped up the window, which was closed afterwards. This is a Win7-64 bits machine.

Then I opened mojo.glfw.cpp and changed the openal initialization from

if( alcDevice=alcOpenDevice( 0 ) ){

To
if( alcDevice=alcOpenDevice( "Generic Hardware" ) ){

Then the window stays opened, but apparently, it can't draw anything!
This is what happens:

Note that the window is never updated,but the console window receive the "Print" messages from the code. Input also works - but nothing gets displayed. If I minimize the window and then restore it, it is completely draw in gray.

From what I could gather, this computer has a Intel Q35 Express (?), running at 1280x1024x32 at 60hz. The sound card is just listed as "High Definition Audio Device".

This happens on every machine(all, same config) that I tested over there, so it's not a problem to a specific machine.

Unfortunately I can't try to install newer drivers on it, I don't have admin access to the machine.

Trying the same code (actually the same build, posted below) on another machine (this one also with Intel graphics, Intel 82945G on Windows XP), everything works.

If you guys want to test the program, here's the compiled version:
http://www.icongames.com.br/temp/debug-test.zip
(when I get home, I'll post the code here, but it's no big deal, just a 800x600 window, which writes text and draws rects on screen)

Have anyone encountered such problems?

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#2]
Hmmm... what OpenGL API version does GLFW uses? I saw here this cards only supports opengl 1.3, maybe that's the problem?

I read this from GLFW website but I can't make heads or tails of it:(

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#3]
according to this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Intel_graphics_processing_units

it should support up to opengl2.0, so you should be able to use GLFW. but yeah, you may need to update those drivers first.

use GPUZ to get the specific details:
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#4]
I can't install stuff, as I said, it's the university computer, and this GPUZ is an installer.

But I would believe Intel's website - if it says it's OGL 1.3, then it probably is :)

The question is: what version of OpenGL is used by GLFW?

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#5]
what version of OpenGL is used by GLFW?

i believe mark mentioned it MUST be OpenGL ES 1.1 compatible, which is about opengl 1.4-1.5.... so yeah.

you may need to look into a DirectX7/9 Mojo port or see if Q35 can handle the XNA version.

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#6]
Yikes! I entered some debugging into window.c... the driver reports OpenGL 1.0!

No wonder it won't work... :(

Edit: Even worst - the video driver *is* up to date! I ask myself how can dell sell computers with this piece of c### inside, and even worst, how Intel can pass this as a GPU :P

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#7]
Edit: Even worst - the video driver *is* up to date! I ask myself how can dell sell computers with this piece of c### inside, and even worst, how Intel can pass this as a GPU :P

Thats how computers can be sold for so cheap these days. Most universities don't require high end graphics capabilities. Most of the time you just need to perform email, web searches, document editing (including any of the MS Office suite) and some light flash (or similar) video viewing. There's no need to have the better GPUs when all you need to do is that kind of simple stuff.

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#8]
Dell here in Brazil is anything but cheap...

If I'd assemble a computer with 'cheap parts' I could make 2 or 3 by the same price they charge for their lower end machines!

(I have to admit their 'top of the line' machines are good - I've bought one Dell Inspiron 15r laptop this year to replace my old, broken, one and it's a really good machine... but it wasn't cheap, by all accounts.)

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#9]
Just an update - I ran today GLInfo on the computer, and the report it generates seems to indicate the card should be able to run...

Trying to make some sense out of this, I read somewhere that if the pixel format selected when creating the opengl window was not "hardware accelerated" then the returned opengl version is 1.0, just as I got when I tested it.

I'm going to try on monday to see what pixel format is being selected, and if it matches one of those listed above - if not, then there's the culprit; if it matches, than I have no idea how to fix this :(