VSync

Monkey Targets Forums/Desktop/VSync

dopeyrulz(Posted 2013) [#1]
I'm working on another! remake (can't help myself) - lots of scrolling. I've been playing with the VSync - both directly with the Intel Graphics Properties settings and the glfwSwapInterval command.

Amazing difference it makes to the smoothness of the scrolling. When turned off it is pretty good for the majority but tears a little here and there, but turn on silky smooth.

Anyone else looked at this? I've never worried about it much before but makes a difference on my machine.

arcsrc(Posted 2013) [#2]
Hi, i'm working on a high speed scrolling game and the tearing is really bad. html5 in chrome has been super smooth for me but not in glfw. I have no idea how to implement vsync but i tried the monkeymax target and it's as smooth as it should be.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#3]
i took a peek at GLFW and it does seem that the swapinterval is never set.

you could try hacking the targets/glfw/modules/native/monkeytarget.cpp
and try adding in somewhere (i'm not sure where, after the window creation maybe?):
glfwSwapInterval(1);

but yeah, surprised it isn't an #GLFW_VSYNC option. well, someone could add it in and push to github.

dopeyrulz(Posted 2013) [#4]
Yeah I've just wrapped glfwSwapInterval for which I created a module. Code is here: http://monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=5554

Just wonder if this is one of those functions that can be a little flaky depending on video card drivers?