Future Proof..?

Monkey Targets Forums/Desktop/Future Proof..?

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2013) [#1]
First off, let's assume that Microsoft and Apple don't completely kick "unlicensed" games off their systems, and we can happily run whatever we'd like, just like we have been for decades..

Hmm..
Anyhoo, assuming that's the case, I'm wondering just how Future Proof current GLFW targets actually are?
I mean, I can grab a game that I wrote in Blitz2D, from literally over a decade ago, and it'll run. There's occasional slowdowns due to my previous overuse of text (oldskool text command doesn't seem to work very well on modern systems), but other than that, the majority of my decade old games run happily and smoothly on Windows 7. (I've yet to upgrade to .. THAT..)

But Monkey uses *nngh* Microsoft technology when compiling.

I have an XNA test game that I made only 3 years ago, (April 2010) and it point-blank refuses to run, anymore.
"CentipongWin has stopped working. Windows is searching for a solution to the problem. .. Sorry.. Windows is useless."
(and, yes, it does still run on the system it was created on.. double checked incase it was my fault!)

Given that Monkey's pretty much attached to this sort of horrible Microsoft framework, what's the chances that a decade later, my games aren't going to work anymore?

Raz(Posted 2013) [#2]
If you install MinGW, you can have GLFW compile using that instead of visual studio.

Make sure your config.winnt.txt file has the path for MinGW set correctly
MINGW_PATH="${SYSTEMDRIVE}\MinGW"

and make sure your app contains the line (or update the CONFIG.Monkey file)

#GLFW_USE_MINGW=True

I prefer to use MinGW for building because it makes messing around with compile time stuff much easier in my opinion (e.g. adding SQLite support)

muddy_shoes(Posted 2013) [#3]
GLFW isn't a Microsoft framework. The build process uses Visual Studio but the chances of MS dropping/breaking their support for compiling C++ anytime soon is pretty slim.

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2013) [#4]
Okily Dokily..
.. but I'll come back and complain, in ten years time, if you guys are wrong!

slenkar(Posted 2013) [#5]
Monkey is the most future proof language out there :D