Any way to increase compile speed?

Monkey Targets Forums/Desktop/Any way to increase compile speed?

zoqfotpik(Posted 2011) [#1]
Is there any way to increase compile speed for GLFW targets?

I prefer not to go through the process of getting the mingw compiler working with Monkey unless it's easier than I think it is.

Why is there not a diff compile available? Seems foolish to compile the entire source when one file is modified. Doesn't this issue have boilerplate solutions dating back to the mid 1980s?

TheRedFox(Posted 2011) [#2]
Guess not. There is a thread about makefiles and all.

Compiling from the command line fails when I replicate what Monkey does. Looks like there is a hidden file or something generated for the final step. (VS Express C++ here).

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2011) [#3]
mingw wasn't too hard, but not simple either.
But I don't think mingw would necessarily speed up compile times unless you used 'make' with it, which would be even more complex to set up.

(but i haven't used the Microsft compiler with monkey, so I don't know how the two compare)

marksibly(Posted 2011) [#4]
Hi,

I haven't had any problems with GLFW compile speeds, but I've only played with the included samples which aren't very large...

The non-translated cpp files (eg: for the glfw lib itself) are only compiled the first time I build. After that, the main.cpp translated file is the only file modified/compiled, so at least not everything is being compiled each time.

Have you tried playing with the project/workspace in VC++ to see what's going on?

zoqfotpik(Posted 2011) [#5]
It seems to be substantially faster now for some reason... It was rebuilding every source file every time. It's fast enough now, I'll just leave it.