Will GLFW on Mac create apps for Mac App Store

Monkey Targets Forums/Desktop/Will GLFW on Mac create apps for Mac App Store

benmc(Posted 2011) [#1]
When I use GLFW on a Mac to build my game, is that build in the right format for submitting to the Mac App Store?

TheRedFox(Posted 2011) [#2]
Good question, I am interested as well in the answer!

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#3]
I'll give it a try and let you know!

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#4]
Ok, just uploaded Blotty Pots to the Mac Store. The process was straight forward without any problems so far. Will keep you posted about the review result. :)

The only problem was the icon which must be in a special format, I got this error during validation as I just used a PNG as icon:

http://www.owsiak.org/?p=476

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#5]
Basically it should work even though it got rejected due to the following reason:

The user interface is not of sufficient quality. Applications that provide a poor user experience are not considered appropriate for the App Store.

Your app appears to be a mostly unmodified port of your iOS app Blotty Pots .

The Mac OS environment significantly different from the iOS environment, and it is important that your app be a great app on Mac OS X. Multiple windows, windows that resize or go full screen, and control functionality for mouse and keyboard, are some of the many features customers expect in a Mac OS X app, and it's important that your app look and work well in a Mac OS X environment.

LOL. Sometimes Apple is really funny. They support scam apps but not apps that really work. Ok, it was worth a try. ;)

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2012) [#6]
Multiple windows LOL. What benefits would those give to a game like Blotty Pots? I don't see why it needs keyboard controls either.

Resizing and full-screen, yes.

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#7]
What was wrong with your user interface??

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#8]
Only Apple knows... I've asked them the same questions, maybe they answer them, we'll see. :)

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#9]
And here's there answer:

We appreciate your feedback, however, the Mac App Store guidelines prohibit iOS ports as the environment differs. You may appeal this review by submitting a request to the App Review Board at <https://developer.apple.com/appstore/mac/resources/approval/contact.html>. As you may be aware, the App Review Board was created for developers to appeal an app review they have concerns with.

Once the App Review Board has completed their evaluation, they will contact you directly.

Thanks,
the MAR Team

Well... no comment

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#10]
Oh...i kinda get it..i think...

skid(Posted 2012) [#11]
So you need to publish on Mac then iOS to avoid the no iOS ports rule? I doubt that rule will be around for long.

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#12]
Haha, nice idea, skid. But maybe the App Store guidelines prohibit Mac ports for iOS as well? :D Who knows? ;)

So I've contacted the app review board, well it's like summoning the geniuses. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JYaREulOD4

*fingers crossed*

John McCubbin(Posted 2012) [#13]
It could simply be that they feel a direct port of an IOS game wont work well on OS X, so they want you to improve it in some ways (HD Graphics, Windowed / Full Screen modes etc)

This is something that I think apple should change though is that you need an IOS Licence and an OS X licence to release games for those two platforms, rather than just one single licence (or has it changed recently)

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#14]
No you still need 2 licenses.

I'll add resizing windows and full screen but wait for the answer from the review board.