Distributing VS 2010 Redistributable?

Monkey Targets Forums/Desktop/Distributing VS 2010 Redistributable?

JD0(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi,

I noticed that Monkey GLFW games require the MS Visual Studio 2010 redistributable to be installed or the user could have missing DLL files when running.

Can anyone give any suggestions on how to distribute the package?

I noticed that it does not seem to have a completely silent install, and brings up an annoying repair/remove screen if the user tries installing.

It's also a fairly large package.

JD0(Posted 2011) [#2]
hmm... scratch that.. the flags on one site were just incorrect /q /norestart worked completely silent.

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#3]
Why so complicated? I just put two dll files into my distribution beside the executable:

msvcp100.dll
msvcr100.dll

That's all you need (plus the OpenAL installation).

marksibly(Posted 2011) [#4]
Hi,

> I noticed that Monkey GLFW games require the MS Visual Studio 2010 redistributable to be installed or the user could have missing DLL files when running

Are you sure?

The compiler settings should be set to link with static runtime libs.

JD0(Posted 2011) [#5]
@xaron wasn't totally sure if the missing files were the same across all the different windows installs.

@marksibly yes, it asked me for one of the ms visual studio 10 dll files when I was testing an installation of the game on another PC. After installing the redistributable the error went away.

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#6]
@JD0: That's what I've learned. No problems on my dev PCs because Visual Studio is installed everywhere.

@Mark: Yes we are sure. ;) Just try any small project on a clean and fresh PC. You need to add both of the DLLs above.

marksibly(Posted 2011) [#7]
Hi,

Ok, this can be fixed in MSVC - you need to change 'Runtime Library' in the
C/C++ code generation options to non-dll versions.

I was sure I'd done this for the default glfw target, but apparently not. Will be fixed for next version.

If you prefer linking with the dll, then you'll have to change it back per project.

Incidentally, found this along the way - very useful!

http://www.dependencywalker.com/

JD0(Posted 2011) [#8]
That is a cool link Mark, very useful.

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#9]
Yep, very useful, thanks!