Visual Studio??

Monkey Targets Forums/Desktop/Visual Studio??

GW_(Posted 2011) [#1]
Sorry if i missed this is in the docs, but I have visual studio 2008 and particularly don't want to have to get VC express if I don't have to.

Can I use the VS 2008 compiler I already have?
I cant seem to find a target called MSbuild.exe though..

p.s. Is there no gcc option if i want to use mojo/c++ ?

marksibly(Posted 2011) [#2]
Hi,

> Can I use the VS 2008 compiler I already have?

Nope, you'll need 2010 express.

It shouldn't interfere with existing versions - I have about 5 versions of visual this/that on my machine.

> I cant seem to find a target called MSbuild.exe though..

Do you have a directory called Microsoft.NET in C:\Windows?

> p.s. Is there no gcc option if i want to use mojo/c++ ?

Not on Windows.

GW_(Posted 2011) [#3]
Thanks Mark,
I tried with VS2k8 but received an error.

I'll get VC Express and try that out.
I hope that mingw/windows is a possible option for the future.

dopeyrulz(Posted 2011) [#4]
_GW

It's probably a .Net version thing. VS2008 is v3.5 whilst VS2010 is v4.0.

GW_(Posted 2011) [#5]
I installed VC express 2k10 and got it working, although i feel very dirty now..

When I get time I'll take some generated sourcecode and put it in a VS8 project and see if it'll compile.
I suspect it's the generation of the '.vcxproj' file that the issue, not the generated c code.

wmaass(Posted 2011) [#6]
FYI (you all might know this already) but I found that in order to target GLFW I had to use Strict and my Main function had to return an int, like so:

Strict
Import mojo.app
Import mojo.graphics

Function Main:Int()
	New BlueScreen
	Return 0
End

Class BlueScreen Extends App
	Method OnRender:Int()
		Cls 0,0,200
		DrawText "Hi There",200,200

Return 0
	End Method
End

Canardian(Posted 2011) [#7]
I would prefer also MinGW on Windows, because it creates faster code than VS2008 and VS2010 with the -O6 option. It also compiles much faster.

Beaker(Posted 2011) [#8]
glfw does seem to take a long time to compile. It would be great if this could be sped up.

GW_(Posted 2011) [#9]
I would prefer also MinGW on Windows, because it creates faster code than VS2008 and VS2010 with the -O6 option. It also compiles much faster.

It looks like the file 'trans.monkey' you can change the compiler args. But I don't if its possible to recompile that whole app.

DruggedBunny(Posted 2011) [#10]

But I don't if its possible to recompile that whole app.

It is -- target for STDCPP and you'll get a new trans_winnt.exe or trans_macos (haven't tried the latter).

Chroma(Posted 2011) [#11]
Bah...I can't get anything to compile except HTML5... I clicked the link in Monkey to download C++ Express and it downloaded some stupid ENA phone development garbage.... Do I actually need to download GLFW?

Do STDCPP apps have graphics or if I want graphics do I have to create a GLFW compile?

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#12]
StdCpp is for command line tools only. The C++ with OpenGL is the GLFW. This GLFW target uses the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 compiler.