Sound Advice

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/Sound Advice

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2017) [#1]
Completely rewrote my Framework, and all seemed good to go.
I even re-re-re-rewrote the controller code, so that I can properly support local multiplayer gaming.
It's certainly been a chore to get everything to the point it is.

So, I submitted my game to OUYAReview, and annoyingly the feedback was negative.
"I'm not hearing any sound at all." was the complaint.

On MY Razer Forge, the audio is fine.
On my OUYA, the audio is fine.
On my Archos Gamepad 2, the audio is fine.
On my ASUS something or other tablet, the audio is fine.
I also just tried installing BlueStacks, and the audio is fine on there, too.

To suggest this is a frustrating issue is an understatement.

With no way to physically test this myself, I'm struggling to diagnose the problem.
My only possible guess at this point, is that something else in the background (Music/Movie player, perhaps) is stealing Audio Priority, and that it's currently paused, so instead of getting ANY output, my game is being silenced, and the OUYATester isn't hearing anything at all.

That's my guess, anyway.
I really have no bloomin' idea!

Anyway, assuming that's the cause, can anyone suggest a way for me to take back control of the audio? To force the Monkey App to go "OI, NO, ME!!" and steal audio priority from anything else that's in the background.

I've tried to google this stuff, but 99% of google results when searching for "Android Audio Silence" and other such keywords, seem to be morons being told to un-mute their phones!!!

I'm having a really hard time with this, this morning, so any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jayenkai

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2017) [#2]
Two weeks on, and a solution has been found.
Turns out, it wasn't me, it wasn't my framework, it wasn't Monkey..
It was TeamOUYA's upload script, which was "compressing" (read : corrupting) the audio files, and breaking all my games.
It wasn't until they tested a few of the raw .apk files from my site, that they realised it was the uploader that was causing it.

Problem solved.

.. Not without a megaton of completely useless work on my side of things.

Grrrr!!!

Long story short : There's nothing wrong with Monkey. Monkey is awesome!

Xaron(Posted 2017) [#3]
Ouch, thanks for letting us know! :)