External Keyboard

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/External Keyboard

Richard Betson(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hi,

Searching around threads it looks as if there is no external keyboard support. Is there a workaround? This is a total bummer no external keyboard support.

Edit - Track pad support is needed as well.

Thanks

marksibly(Posted 2015) [#2]
The keyboard test banana works fine here on my nexus 7 with logitech bluetooth keyboard.

Richard Betson(Posted 2015) [#3]
I'll be a dipped cookie.. It sorta works. :)

I can get input in the Bananas example (wow neat) but it seems some of the control keys do not work for example the arrow keys ( KeyDown(KEY_UP) ) or the control keys. All of which I was using exclusively. Let me put together a a trough test of the input responses from the keyboard and report my findings but arrow and control keys do not work so far for sure at least here. Sort of feel like a newbie here.. dislike that. :)

While I have your attention the mousex/mousey for the track pad does not interact with a Monkey X application. The Buttons seem to work fine (button left down track pad) but the cursor position in the Monkey application does not move until I click down and then it jumps to that position. So using MouseX()/MouseY() gives no feedback until a click happens. I tried TouchX()/TouchY() with no good results.

Edit- I do see the system cursor in the Monkey X application but my Monkeys application cursor never moves until I click, then it jumps to where the system cursor is.

Richard Betson(Posted 2015) [#4]
Well,

It's looking like KeyDown() and KeyHit() just don't return anything in Android related to keys. GetChar() or PeekChar() will work for some keys but not the arrow, control or other non-character keys. The result so far is that at least here on Android the only way to get keyboard data is GetChar/PeekChar which are useless (will work but systems key press repeat delay blows it up) for action style keyboard game control, KeyDown() would need to be supported for that.

So unless I have this wrong (and that's what I had read no gaming key support I guess) the only way to get keyboard input is GetChar() and PeekChar(). KeyHit() and KeyDown() just do not function in Android. I'll keep poking at this but I seem to be unable to use KeyDown() and have it return a key press.

Edit - So this appears to be a longtime issue? Can it be solved?
http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=7935&post=78716&view=all#78716