can anyone test my game?

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/can anyone test my game?

slenkar(Posted 2015) [#1]
http://slenkar.x10.mx/therabbit.apk

I made this game for a client in monkey.
He says it crashes on his Samsung tablet after the interstital ad,
but it doesn't crash on my generic tablet.
So if it crashes on your device an adb logcat would be appreciated.

k.o.g.(Posted 2015) [#2]
Can you post some info and screens from the game?

CGV(Posted 2015) [#3]
I don't have a Samsung but I tested it on my Asus MemoPad HD 7 (Android 4.2.2) and here's what happened.

The first time I played after installing the game, after the interstitial ad I was taken back to the stage select screen and I tapped the Stage 1 icon and the game began, but the game screen was unresponsive. I don't know if that's what your client meant by "crash" but in my case the game was still running, I just couldn't play.

So I shut the game down and relaunched it but no matter how many times I was killed, the game worked fine after the interstitial ad.

So it was only upon the first run that I experienced this problem.

Hope this helps you.

EDIT: I didn't notice your request for a logcat until after I ran the game and now that the game is working I guess there's no point. Sorry!

Volker(Posted 2015) [#4]
Did a test on Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
EXACTLY the same behaviour as by CVG.
Ad is shown, back to game, touch on "Stage 1" and the game is unresponsive.
Now everything works.

slenkar(Posted 2015) [#5]
thanks for testing,
I cant seem to recreate this for myself

do you see the rabbit and the planets when the screen is unresponsive?
When the screen is unresponsive are there still animations happening, or is the screen completely still?

CGV(Posted 2015) [#6]
You can see the rabbit and planets, animations are happening, background music is playing, the game appears perfectly fine but you can tap the screen till your fingers bleed to no avail.

Since it only happened the first time I ran the game I got the idea of clearing the game's data just to see if it brought the error back and it did!

Each time I clear the data the problem returns but as before only the first time, then the game runs fine again.

slenkar(Posted 2015) [#7]
thanks that is useful info.

I cant replicate it on my tablet unfortunately.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2015) [#8]
quick question, what's being cached exactly.

Would it be possibly or you might want to try and make your ad NOT show on the very first isntance of the app being run on the device and then try showing the ad ever other time after it, essentially pre-caching all data for the second instance run of the app in preparation for showing the ad for the first time.

This could be a quick fix which if it works would then allow you to spend the time to actually track down what the real issue is.

slenkar(Posted 2015) [#9]
that sounds like a good idea thanks!

in the cache I saved an object which contains the player's score and what screen he was on.
When the ad closes it restarts the game (i dont know why but in debug mode it complains of mismatched pop and push statements with monkey debug code)

slenkar(Posted 2015) [#10]
I changed things around a bit , can someone test this version?

CGV(Posted 2015) [#11]
Sorry slenkar, nothing's changed.

I can still bring the problem back by clearing the data so I tried tapping the screen for a solid 2 minutes just in case it was a lag rather than a lockup but still no go.

I think you should create a version which does what Paul recommended and skips the first showing of the ad just to see if the second showing, which would now be the first showing, has the same problem. It might help you narrow down the problem.

slenkar(Posted 2015) [#12]
Thanks for the encouragement
I think I've fixed it now, I couldnt reproduce the bug before, but now I can.
could you try it out this one last time please?

CGV(Posted 2015) [#13]
If you fixed it by not showing an ad after the first death then congrats, it's now working. I did get an ad after my second and third deaths and everything worked fine.

If you didn't fix it that way, then you've got a new problem. :)

I don't mind continuing to test your game. It's actually one of the better games I've ever installed on my devices.

slenkar(Posted 2015) [#14]
great, thanks!
it was actually a silly bug that I made , :D

Glad you like it, gonna try to upload to the android store now