Does Monkey convert npot images to pow2 sizes?

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/Does Monkey convert npot images to pow2 sizes?

Grey Alien(Posted 2014) [#1]
I made some texture atlases that are pow2 but they waste a lot of space and would prefer them to be npot. Also I have quite a few separate images I'm using for game menus and so on that didn't need to be added to a texture atlas for performance reasons and these are npot (and I'd need to change a lot of code to make them work from a texture atlas.)

I'm aware that having npot can be an issue on older phones but what about newer phones? We are targeting OS 4+ only for this game to filter out some crap ones. Also we don't mind if a reasonably small % of players just can't play it, doesn't matter. But if having npot cuts out a large amount of modern phones, then that's not good.

In this old thread there was some mention of monkey padding npot images (which would solve my proble). Does anyone know if that's actually true as there's no confirmation in thread:

http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=1645

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#2]
I think that Mojo does pad out bitmaps to POT. If you have a look in the gxtkSurface class of mojo.android.java. You will see that the SetBitmap function calls Pow2Size(n). I would have to check up on this, but I don't think that GLES1.1 glTexImage2D supports npot.

Grey Alien(Posted 2014) [#3]
Thanks. Muddy_shoes also confirmed that Mojo pads out to POT (on Twitter). I guess that's non-square POT which should be fine because square POT could be very wasteful in terms of space.