Please Help Testing BUG

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/Please Help Testing BUG

erebel55(Posted 2014) [#1]
I have been getting a handful of reports that my game gets stuck on the "Tbro Games" splash screen that I show at the beginning. However, I haven't been able to reproduce it. So I'm thinking it might be an Android version thing.

Can everyone try and let me know if you get stuck at the "Tbro Games' screen or not.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lvm.lavamonkey

Also, please post your android version and any other relevant information.

I would really love to get this bug fixed, before someone 1 stars me for it.

Thanks!!

Volker(Posted 2014) [#2]
Works fine here. Samsung Note 10.1. Android 4.1.2.
Do you use chartboost? May this cause the bug?

AVG Antivirus has thrown a warning while installing your app.
Sorry, have forgotten the message, but somewhat about "Lava monkey is known for lots of ads" or so.

erebel55(Posted 2014) [#3]
Wow really? Yikes, I have never used an antivirus on a mobile device.
I cut the number of ads in half in one of my updates.

Yes, I am using chartboost and I think I figured out the bug.
If the user has a slow connection at the time (<= 2G) it is trying to load the initial ad but takes a long time. So the users think that it is stuck.
So, I think I need to do a timeout or something so the ad fails if it is taking to long?

Not really sure how to do that yet.

therevills(Posted 2014) [#4]
I had the issue once on the first version, but since the update I havent seen it.

Also I was wondering which ad service you were using, as I hadnt seen the 30 seconds video ads (these are far too long!!) and the sliding in ads on AdMob.

erebel55(Posted 2014) [#5]
The sliding ads are Chartboost and the video ads are AdColony. Not all of the video ads are 30 seconds, there might be a way to force only shorter ones to show. I will look into that.

I also wrote modules for Airpush, Mobfox, and Tapjoy (although I don't use these in Lava Monkey).

Google banned me from Admob, so I had to look for alternatives :/

Boulderdash(Posted 2014) [#6]
Oh not the antivirus virus, that was the whole reason I consider windows development a waists of time, every windows computer seems to be infected with the antivirus virus which blocks loads of legitimate software :-(

Anyway I tested it, the splash screen delay was far to long reminiscent of a lockup, tablet reported app is not responding but after tapping wait option and a bit more waiting I got an ad to close and I promise I paid no attention to what so ever, then a not bad game.

Droid 4.2.2

erebel55(Posted 2014) [#7]
Thank you Boulderdash, were you on wifi at the time? Or were you on a cell connection? If so, do you recall if you had good service?

I think the issue is that it is trying to load the ad when the connection is slow and is taking too long.

Boulderdash(Posted 2014) [#8]
I was using a WiFi never lags , fastest internet I have ever used

My tablet has both GSM 3g and WiFi, I use it as my phone.

Tablet is new and reasonably high spec.

App not responding only appeared once, I run your game 6 times, takes about 25 seconds on splash, but didn't actually time it.

erebel55(Posted 2014) [#9]
Hm well there goes my theory. I thought the issue was from the ad taking a long time to load. So you ran it 6 times and it only took 25 seconds on splash one time?

Boulderdash(Posted 2014) [#10]
It took around 25 seconds all 6 times, just tried again ,same time. Nice graphics BTW that's where my skills lack

Can download around 1 mb per second ( just a guestimate ) on this telecom broadband.

erebel55(Posted 2014) [#11]
Thank you, hmm yeah it shouldn't take 25 seconds. It takes less than a second here. So, it takes 25 seconds and then the ad shows?

Boulderdash(Posted 2014) [#12]
Wait just rebooted my tablet then tried game again, this time it was just a 2 second pause ?

Tried some more times, strange, reboot speed it right up ?

erebel55(Posted 2014) [#13]
Hm I wonder if you had too much running on your device at once. 2 seconds sounds better. So you start the game, Tbro Games splash shoes, 2 seconds go by, ad is shown, close ad, title screen is shown?

Boulderdash(Posted 2014) [#14]
Yes, Tried again, nice and smooth.
I'm not sure what was open at time etc.

erebel55(Posted 2014) [#15]
Okay, cool that is the expected behavior. I still need to fix the issue with slow ad loading when on slow connection. I'll get working on that now. Thanks for helping me out :D

Boulderdash(Posted 2014) [#16]
Hope I at least provided some clues ;-)
Oh found tablet specs
7inch jelly bean 4.2.2 phone tablet ,dual sim, dual core, dual cam, AGPS BT FM,
dual core armv7 1.2Ghz x 2
GPU: mali-400 mp
1024 x600 result display
512 mb ram
Nandflash 4g
WiFi 802.11b/g/n
2g gsm 850/900/1800/1900mhz
3g wcdma 2100mhz
Bluetooth
Gsensor
Dual camera 5mp front ,5mp rear

I purchased that and a macbook just so I could progress from blitzmax to monkey.

erebel55(Posted 2014) [#17]
Thanks! Yeah, I'm assuming the issue you were seeing was just from having too many apps open at once. Especially with your 512mb of ram, that is pretty minimal for a tablet.
I still need to fix the slow connection issue with the startup ad tho. Those are separate issue. I don't think there is anything I can do about what you were seeing. You most likely just had to much going on and my app couldn't get the resources it needed.

Boulderdash(Posted 2014) [#18]
Yeah I figured I would update after 12-18 months when wear and tear starts to take its tole so wasn't to worried about ram

BTW: just hit your app with a 5 star review, gotta help support monkey apps !!!

erebel55(Posted 2014) [#19]
I really appreciate that! :D Need all the support I can get :)

Yeah 512 should work for most things, just have to make sure to remember to stop your apps ;)