Choosing which API version to build with?

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/Choosing which API version to build with?

Lindsay(Posted 2014) [#1]
If I have multiple Android API's installed - not just 3.2 - is it possible to "force" Monkey to use a particular one? Right now it appears to default to using the latest one installed.

Thanks,
L.

Xaron(Posted 2014) [#2]
Yes. Important is the minSdkVersion where I always use 8 (which is Android 2.2), while the targetSdkVersion should be the latest you've installed (19 in my case which is 4.4 Kitkat).

All in AndroidManifest.xml

tiresius(Posted 2014) [#3]
Xaron, Does that mean your app will run on Android 2.2 ? Sorry I'm new to Android ...

Lindsay(Posted 2014) [#4]
I was wondering the same thing - if you build with SDK 19, will it run on older Androids?

Xaron(Posted 2014) [#5]
Yes it will. The targetSdkVersion should be usually always the latest. The minSdkVersion tells what minimum api should be used. All new api versions support always the older ones.

therevills(Posted 2014) [#6]
Just to clarify:

minSdkVersion = the minimum API which the application will run on
targetSdkVersion = the API which the application was compiled against / tested on
maxSdkVersion = the maximum API which the application will run on

More info here: http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/manifest/uses-sdk-element.html

Supertino(Posted 2014) [#7]
For example;

- If I set a minSdkVersion=9 (Gingerbread 2.3) a device will need to be running Android 2.3 or newer, its wont run on device with 2.2 (Froyo) or lower and wont even show in the app-store for a device running 2.2.
- If I set a maxSdkVersion=18 (Jellybean 4.3) the app will not run on newer versions such as devices running Kitkat (4.4) Sdk 19, it's best you don't specify a maxSdkVersion.for obvious reasons.
- If I set a targetSdkVersion=18 (Jellybean) I am just specifying the recommended SdkVersion but it has little baring on what devices can run your app or it's visibility in the app-store.

At the moment set the min to 8 the target to 19 and don't use max and you'll be fine.

Latest numbers show that 99% of devices that connect to google play store are running 2.3 (Skd 9) or newer https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html?utm_source=ausdroid.net

Grey Alien(Posted 2014) [#8]
Does the manifest do anything if you just send the sdk to a friend to test? I'm guessing not unless it's embedded in the SDK somehow?

Also how can I tell what version of the SDK I'm using? I noticed that in project.properities there's a line saying: target=android-13
Is that important?