Most common device resolutions?

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/Most common device resolutions?

rIKmAN(Posted 2014) [#1]
I've been concentrating on iOS up to now, which means there are only a few devices/resolutions to make sure your game works.

However, I am now looking at Android and am overwhelmed by the device fragmentation, the amount of different devices, resolutions, and all the DPI stuff.

I was wondering if anyone could share what resolutions they are targeting for their Android games - what the most popular resolutions are, that kind of thing.

I don't want to cater for every single quirky device out there, but if I could get a set of resolutions that are common to ~80-90% of phones and tablets that would be a great help!

I found some info via Google, but it was over a year old and things change quickly, so to get some advice from you guys who have released on Android would be really helpful.

Am I thinking about it the wrong way - maybe I have been iOS-ified?

Thanks in advance.

Volker(Posted 2014) [#2]
I use 800x480.
Unity hardware stats mobile Android:
http://stats.unity3d.com/mobile/display-android.html

rIKmAN(Posted 2014) [#3]
Brilliant, thanks Volker.

therevills(Posted 2014) [#4]
I normally use 800x480 too... but in my next game I have gone for a 16:9 ratio with a strange resolution of 740x416 ;)

Xaron(Posted 2014) [#5]
I usually use 1280x720 (16:9) or 1024x576 (which is the same aspect ration but fits perfectly into this max 1024 texture scheme).

therevills(Posted 2014) [#6]
The problem I find with high resolutions like those Xaron is when viewing them on a low resolution phone the graphics / text is really tiny and hard to see / read.

Xaron(Posted 2014) [#7]
therevills that's not an issue actually. I always keep it ratio based so it looks the same not matter if you have an iPhone 3 with 480x320 pixels or an iPad 4 with 2048x1536 pixels.

I just scale it to the real resolution and work with the virtual one.

therevills(Posted 2014) [#8]
It might look the same in ratio, but the graphics must scale smaller to fit on the device screen - so your text might be unreadable on a smaller device.

therevills(Posted 2014) [#9]
Are you doing something special to fix the above, Xaron?

benmc(Posted 2014) [#10]
I've pretty much started targeting 480x800 myself. However, I made the mistake of targeting 320x480 for WAY too long, so maybe I should be doubling it. Not sure.

Xaron(Posted 2014) [#11]
Are you doing something special to fix the above, Xaron?

I sometimes use just different font sizes. I have a pretty high resolution device (Sony Xperia S) which has only a 4,3" display but a 1280x720 resolution with a dpi which is beyond iPhone's retina display. So as long as I can read the stuff on this device it will look good on others as well. That's my "solution" for now. ;)

therevills(Posted 2014) [#12]
So as long as I can read the stuff on this device it will look good on others as well.

Sorry, but that cant be the case - try running it on a 480x320 resolution device - everything will be too small.

Good idea with the different font sizes, just have to be careful with video RAM...

Supertino(Posted 2014) [#13]
Personally I've moved away from Autoscale/Autofit systems as I don't like the letter boxing and sizing fonts and buttons is tricky. I've taken to using real world measures Inches/cm/mm to size most of my fonts and elements, as it's Android I have to base these measures off the devices bucket DPI which is not always the devices true DPI but for the most part it works out, I also use three different sets of graphic assets depending on the bucket DPI of the device to ensure I am always scaling down and never up to avoid blur and associated issues. This approach does take more work but the result is a game that fills the display and looks like it's designed for it.

I tested this approach with the text and on screen controls in my TreasureTrap game, the text and buttons should always be a "reasonable" size no matter the size of the screen, wont be tiny on a 3.5" screen and wont be massive on a 8" tablet.

I am lucky to have three android devices of different DPI and size so I feel confident in my method.

- Samsung Tab 8"
- Samsung S4 mini 4.3"
- Moto G 4.5"

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2014) [#14]
Sorry, but that cant be the case - try running it on a 480x320 resolution device - everything will be too small.

i'm tempted to block out those resolutions. any idea how popular they are? also, i would think the OS versions are becoming too old.

i've added the nexus 2013 (1920x1200) to my arsenal. seems to be a popular resolution.

Volker(Posted 2014) [#15]
i'm tempted to block out those resolutions. any idea how popular they are?

7.6 percent on Android. See here:
http://stats.unity3d.com/mobile/display-android.html

therevills(Posted 2014) [#16]
i'm tempted to block out those resolutions. any idea how popular they are? also, i would think the OS versions are becoming too old.

Yeah that might be a good idea, but I was more pointing out that Xaron was saying his game running at 1280x720 looks good at other device resolutions and it was an extreme example :)

To how popular they are, we can use the Android dashboard:
http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

At the time of writing:
 ldpi | mdpi  | tvdpi | hdpi    | xhdpi | xxhdpi
-----+-------+-------+---------+-------+--------
8.2% | 21.1% | 1.6%  | 34.8%   | 20.8% | 13.5%