Android game wont run on HTC Evo 4g

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/Android game wont run on HTC Evo 4g

Xyle(Posted 2014) [#1]
Just received an email, from a buddy who owns an HTC Evo 4g, doesn't say 4gLTE. He downloaded the game, clicked the icon and gets a black screen. The music is playing and when he clicks where the quit button is, it exits out, so it seems the game is working, but not showing up in the display.

His device is running Android 4.1.1, when he clicks on update, the phone says he has the latest version.

With over 5000 devices out there, what is the best way to test out your game to make sure it will run on certain devices?

Is there device not supported thread or anything like that here? (I searched the forums but couldn't find any thing.)

Thanks for any help!

therevills(Posted 2014) [#2]
It seems that the HTC Evo 4g has the Adreno 200 GPU and it might only support OpenGL ES1 - I say might as different places says different things... if it is only compatible with ES1 make sure your textures are a maximum of 1024x1024.

Xyle(Posted 2014) [#3]
Thanks for the info.

All the textures in my game are 800x400 or less.

Also, the AndroidManifest.xml default in the target/template folder has the line...
<uses-feature android:glEsVersion="0x00010001" />

Does this enable OpenGL ES1 by default?
Or do you need to code a boolean in your game also?
#OPENGL_GLES20_ENABLED=True 'for enabling OpenGL ES2
#ANDROID_NATIVE_GL_ENABLED=True 'Ehhh? If not enabled, what is being used?

Thanks again for the reply

therevills(Posted 2014) [#4]
<uses-feature android:glEsVersion="0x00010001" />
Does this enable OpenGL ES1 by default?

It defaults to OpenGL ES 1.1 with that uses-feature tag, so any device which does not support 1.1 will not be able to install it. So no you don't need to set a boolean.

#ANDROID_NATIVE_GL_ENABLED=True 'Ehhh? If not enabled, what is being used?

When its true it uses native code, it defaults to false and uses non-native code ie Java.

Xyle(Posted 2014) [#5]
I really appreciate all the information there! Huge help!

Been monkeying around trying to get the Android Emulator to run, but no go.
No matter what I get the java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No config chosen error which points to the config chooser in openGL.

Really in need of something to do testing on devices on something other than my GalaxyS3.
I'm checking out GenyMotion now.

Thanks again for the help.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2014) [#6]
It may be related to the adreno 225 bug?? also seen on the Samsung S3, but that's what you are testing on.
http://monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=5016&post=62883
http://www.shivaengine.com/developer/forum/viewtopic.php?p=60882

can you test simpler examples on the device? are you doing anything special to create your images?

Xyle(Posted 2014) [#7]
Thanks for the help.

I was able to test the most basic framework on the device which printed "Hello World" to the screen and it worked.

I also installed the Bouncing Aliens example and it worked too.

Evidently there is something in the game that is causing it not to render to the screen.
My first suspect is grabbing the deviceWidth() and deviceHeight() then using the scale function to draw to the screen.

I will strip the game down and make a custom version for my buddys phone and see if I can pinpoint the problem. I wont be able to see him again until Monday so I will keep you guys updated.

Thanks again for the help!!!

rIKmAN(Posted 2014) [#8]
Bluestacks is good also.

Xyle(Posted 2014) [#9]
Thanks for the info, I seen that, but it didn't look like it actually emulated any devices, just gave you the screen size options, but I will look into it more.

Thank you!

Xyle(Posted 2014) [#10]
Well thats a strange one.

I noticed a new score on the high score board from someone I knew, I sent them an email and it was my buddy with the Evo. He said the game is now working.

Go figure!

I will still be checking out a few things to see if I can pinpoint any situations, but without a good emulator, there is little hope. :(