Android version support

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/Android version support

tommy2011(Posted 2014) [#1]
Just a quick question,

if anybody knows, what is the minimum and max version of android does monkey support?

Thanks for your time,

Tom

therevills(Posted 2014) [#2]
Within the template AndroidManifest you can see:

<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="3" android:targetSdkVersion="7" />

minSdkVersion:
The Android system will prevent the user from installing the application if the system's API Level is lower than the value specified in this attribute. You should always declare this attribute.

This is set to SDK 3, which is Android 1.5.

targetSdkVersion:
This attribute informs the system that you have tested against the target version and the system should not enable any compatibility behaviors to maintain your app's forward-compatibility with the target version. The application is still able to run on older versions (down to minSdkVersion).

This is set to SDK 7, which is Android 2.1.

The template does not specify the maxSdkVersion... so MonkeyX doesnt have a max version ;)

http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/manifest/uses-sdk-element.html
http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/manifest/uses-sdk-element.html#ApiLevels

tommy2011(Posted 2014) [#3]
Thanks so much!

CGV(Posted 2014) [#4]
targetSdkVersion is the one that confuses me. What do you set that value to?

Do you actually set it to the max version you tested against or do you leave it where Monkey-X sets it?

Google recommends we increase this value with each new Android version released.

therevills(Posted 2014) [#5]
targetSdkVersion is the one that confuses me. What do you set that value to?

Normally its the version you have successfully tested with.

Google recommends we increase this value with each new Android version released.

Yeah, I've read that but it seems safe to omit it and with each new Android version you would need to release a new build each time of all your apps...

CGV(Posted 2014) [#6]
Thanks.

I wrote a Flash game with Monkey, never got around to announcing it here, but now that Mochi Media is shutting down I thought I'd try my hand in the Android market.

Xaron(Posted 2014) [#7]
I always use the latest SDK as targetSdkVersion and 9 as minSdkVersion which is Android 2.3. Some things like the InApp purchases work only with Android 2.2+

The targetSdkVersion has nothing to do with the supported devices.

CGV(Posted 2014) [#8]
What I'm learning is it's really easy to screw up your first Android release so I'm going to take my time and research everything thoroughly.