Google Play Beta section.

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/Google Play Beta section.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#1]
Quick query "Has anyone used it ?"

As I understand when you are working on your game you upload your apk to the beta section and edit its info accordingly, patching in new changes etc, once its up you can then share the beta to a I ASSUME google+ community ?, at which point they can access your beta and play the game..

I am wondering how that all actually works out, does the game appear in their store when they search for it if they are a member of a community that gets an invite?

would love some info from some one who's used it or who uses it now, is it worth while?

Capn Lee(Posted 2014) [#2]
I use it as a way to distribute the game I'm working on.

The Google Play side of things is quite easy, you add it as an alpha or a beta (specifically you can have both allowing two groups of users, one that has stable builds and another that has experimental ones) and it takes a couple of hours for builds to go live at which point their android devices automatically update.

The management side of things is a bit more awkward. You need to add the people to a Google Group or a Google+ circle, personally I used a Google Group as a good place for them to leave feedback. Once they've accepted the Google Group invite there is a completely separate link they need to follow to accept the beat invite. We've had quite a few problems with this, for one it seems if they try to accept the invite from their phone, Google Play Store doesn't play nice with the email links and following it can take you to an 'app not available' page within the Play Store. You have to tell it to follow the link using Chrome rather than the default Play Store for it to work.

Even once you've accepted the link and are a beta tester, you can not find the app by searching the Play Store, the only place you can really see it is the 'My Apps' section, with a few other exceptions it behaves exactly like a full release game would to the beta testers, they aren't allowed to rate the app for example.

Overall, I'm happy I use it because making sure everyone was using the up to date version of the app was becoming a bit of a pain to code for, especially when I make big sweeping changes to the way points are scored etc and this is way superior to sending out the apks but at times I've had to talk people through the process of accepting the Google Group invite, accepting the beta testers invite and successfully downloading the game for the first time. After that though, everything is sweet.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#3]
I think I might give it a go.. thanks for the info.

Phil7(Posted 2016) [#4]
I tried alpha test in google Play as a closed test. It seems that you have to pay the full price for the app if you are invited as a tester and want to install it. This doesn't make any sense to me.
How can I avoid this? I would also like to try the installation on my own android device to see if it all works as it should.

Soap(Posted 2016) [#5]
I've not tried this, but maybe setup alt apps as free (different app ids) that you do not intend to ever make live and only beta test with.

Phil7(Posted 2016) [#6]
Thanks, this might be a way around this problem, but I think there should be a way to test for free and then release the same file without any hassle.
When you mentioned id you meant the package name #ANDROID_APP_PACKAGE?

Soap(Posted 2016) [#7]
Yes, com.monkey-x.monkeyapp.beta