Facebook integration

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/Facebook integration

debonzi(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hi everyone,

I search a lot on the forum but could not find any info regarding this topic.

Is there an available module or configuration to make it possible for games build with monkey to post on facebook?

I am looking foward to simple make it possible to share (post) the game score on the user timeline as many many games out there does.

Have anyone done that or have any info or clue to have it done?

Thanks
Debonzi

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#2]
there is a module which I think might still work, https://code.google.com/p/facebookmonkey/ but I have not tried it yet, so worth a look at the very least.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#3]
Yeah just tested this and it's working fine, Facebook did retire the sharer method and replaced with the feed method which this uses so I think it's fairly safe to use, the idea situation would be a module that uses the android facebook sdk and does all the sharing without poping open a browser, but in the mean time this is cool..

rIKmAN(Posted 2014) [#4]
Glad I looked at this, the module says it "supports same targets as diddys browser code (HTML,Android,Flash, IOS)" - I thought at first glance of the thread it was Android only, bonus! :)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#5]
Yeah I have tested it on html5 and android but I think unless I am mistaken it should work on just about every target as they can all call open browser cant they ?.

It's got a few drawbacks tho, but nothing to major, one thing is that it as described opens a browser so on android this pulls the user away from the app, and once the browser is open on the device there is no return to the app the user needs to do that manually, there is also no silent posting which would be really cool but all in all its good.

Aman(Posted 2014) [#6]
Yeah, I tried this before. You cannot make your game integrated to faebook since you cannot do facebook login, game request (send resources, help doing game tasks, ...etc)
But it allows facebook likes, posts, and oddly friend requests. Glad I found this again though.

debonzi(Posted 2014) [#7]
Hi everyone,

Sorry for not make any comments on suggestions before (Thanks Paul) but I was really involved studding the lots of bit that can be involved in game development. I am pretty new to all this.
Anyway, I had some problems using that module due some miss configuration on Facebook app for my game and gave up to try using a solution involving the Facebook SDK.
It was able to make get it working by changing the android project generated by Monkey. It is working fairly good but I still felling it was an "evil" hack.
You can check it here (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.debonzi.mightcatchallenge). It is a Flappy Bird clone (lame) I did to help me to understand better the steps involved since development to publishing games.
Well, goal was achieved and I am moving.
At moment I am kind of studding Facebook and Google Cloud Save because I really believe that now a days it is really key to keep people that download your game playing it more easily.
At some moment I am looking at some Monkey Module implementations to understand how all it are tied up together and I will try to write Monkey Modules for them.

If I succeed, I will come back here and let you guys know.

Later,

erebel55(Posted 2014) [#8]
How did you end up implementing this? I am interested in adding a share score button to my game for ios and android.

Dabz(Posted 2014) [#9]
Would love to add a "Post score to facebook" too... Any news?

Dabz

rIKmAN(Posted 2014) [#10]
Me three!
Same as you guys would like to add posting scores etc to Facebook/Twitter from iOS/Android.

Am I right in thinking the module linked above will only work for actual Facebook Apps?
I see a mention of AppURL in the docs which must be your apps URL on Facebook - which isn't possible with iOS / Android etc.

erebel55(Posted 2014) [#11]
Taiphoz, since you got this working. What did you use for the parameters that it requires?

AppID and AppName are easy to find on the Dashboard of developers.facebook.com

However, where did you get the AppLogoURL and AppURL from?

Thanks

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#12]
replied via skype..

Also what I think would be really cool would be the ability to screengrab a game or app and then post its picture to facebook along with some text, I'v seen a number of app's doing that now specifically those word game apps, its a cool feature if some one could get it working.

erebel55(Posted 2014) [#13]
If anyone has gotten this working with an android/ios app can you please post what you did on the facebook and Monkey sides?

For example, what did you enter here..

And how did you call FBSetupApp from Monkey? I'm not sure what to use for the AppURL parameter..

rIKmAN(Posted 2014) [#14]
That's what I was trying to say in my post above erebel, the AppURL says it has to be a link to your app on Facebook - which implies it has to be a Facebook App rather than an iOS/Android game (which I assume cannot get a Facebook AppURL as they aren't Facebook Apps)

I might be wrong but that's the way it reads to me in the module docs.

erebel55(Posted 2014) [#15]
Has anyone gotten this working?

rIKmAN(Posted 2014) [#16]
Taiphoz said above it was working fine when he tried it, hopefully he will see this and let us know what he did.

I can get an example to compile and run, but it just opens an empty page.