Chartboost?

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/Chartboost?

SLotman(Posted 2014) [#1]
Did anyone got Chartboost to work on Android?

I'm trying here, using the module by Skn3, I can even see the test ads... but the moment I disable the "test" in Chartboost panel, I never see any ads, anywhere, always returns as "failed to load"...

(I'm trying the default examples that comes with the module, btw)

maverick69(Posted 2014) [#2]
have you added the app to a campaign in the chartboost backend?

SLotman(Posted 2014) [#3]
Yes, I did:

Still, no ads :(

SLotman(Posted 2014) [#4]
Hmmm... maybe Chartboost have no ads to display here in Brazil? (I think that's not the case, but who knows)

Is there a way for me to 'trick' an Android emulator (BlueStacks precisely) into using another IP? A proxy or something so I can test this?

Edit: Yuck, it is possible, but the solution is ugly at best. Looking for other ways to see if I can do this :(

bazmonkey(Posted 2014) [#5]
Sounds likely, unless that 'failed to load' means something else. Afaik, the simulator (in iOS) always behaves as a 'test' device, and doesnt see country ad restrictions -- not sure same true for android emulator though. I'm testing my stuff now.
Theres supposed to be a way to define 'test' devices and avoid restrictions in the same way, but I dont actually see how to do this on the dashboard... :/

https://help.chartboost.com/faq/general#test <-- that 'test devices' button isnt on my dashboard!

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15999012/chartboost-behaving-weird-ios

bazmonkey(Posted 2014) [#6]
Update: I've been setting up chartboost on iOS + android today, and I'm seeing the same issue when test mode is disabled on android. Everything else works, incl iOS.

Interestingly, I *can* get the MoreApps feature to work on android. Well, it shows a 3rd party app, so I guess its working. Interstitials still don't cache or show, however. I thought it could be a permissions or settings problem, but I've been through the manifest etc, and all the campaign settings.

Maybe, as you said, they literally have no android ads to send, in which case we're wasting our time :(

BTW, I'm using my own basic chartboost code, not Skn3's code yet (so I dont get callbacks, it just times-out). Will have to look at it again tomorrow.

Still dont see how to add a test device, that would be the best check.

bazmonkey(Posted 2014) [#7]
Update: you can add test device IDs under the main 'company info' section of the dashboard (the help docs are out of date I think). Anyway, I did this and I've still yet to see a 'live' ad on the device. Checked the log, I get the didFailToLoadInterstitial callback message.

---> I've tried a better test: starting with their ChartboostExample project, and building in eclipse. Their ads work fine from that app, running on my device. When I swap for my app id and sig, I'm back to the same errors again. So, its something to do with the campaign setup or my account, I guess? Might have to email them.

pantson(Posted 2014) [#8]
FYI, I couldnt get Chartboost working correctly in v76d. Not sure which version it stopped working at.
I am now using revmob for most advertising as that seemed to work better for me in v76d

bazmonkey(Posted 2014) [#9]
I'm chatting with chartboost support, I'll update when/if I sort it out. My issues could be different to Slotmans original question, dont know. Apparently, my campaign works fine in their app, and their campaign works fine in my app... just not together! :/

My test apps are now outside of any monkey code -- I'll go back to monkey wrapper code afterwards.
Yeah, Revmob integration was pretty easy, but I had many devs on twitter telling me to go for chartboost instead, so I dont want to give up quite yet.

SLotman(Posted 2014) [#10]
Eager to see the results of this... I've given up on this for now, until I get my game in a more advanced state.

bazmonkey(Posted 2014) [#11]
@SLotman - a good test is to try their ChartboostExample project and build it in eclipse. Crucially, it comes with a default app id and sig, taking ads from *their* campaign. So, you can test things independently of 1) monkey, and 2) your own dashboard settings and campaign. Then you can swap for your own app/campaign and do the same tests. Once all that works, then move on to the monkey code.

Chartboost support seem very responsive, they reply to everything quickly. Might be worth you mailing them to have someone with the same issues... but I'll keep you updated here.

SLotman(Posted 2014) [#12]
With their "test keys" it works - I can see the default message, but no "live ads" - when I change into my keys/id from my campaign, then nothing works :(
(And yes, I'm directly on Monkey)

bazmonkey(Posted 2014) [#13]
@SLotman - sounds identical to my issue. Are you able to test wifi versus a data/cell connection? If so, can you try switching to data briefly (run your test app), then go back to wifi and run it again...
After doing this, my phone now displays live ads (even back on wifi)! My wifi-only tablet still does not. I've been testing wifi only all this time. Pretty confusing.

erebel55(Posted 2014) [#14]
Did you guys ever get to the bottom of this?

bazmonkey(Posted 2014) [#15]
For me, not entirely. I realised the lack of live ads on android was nothing to do with monkey (in my case) -- ie by using the standalone chartboost sample code. I even got the chartboost support guys to test my build of the sample app -- they were very helpful, but it all worked fine from their side, showing live ads.

I got my phone to receive ads by switching to cell connection. My tablet here has still never shown a live android ad via wifi, it always gets the error code.

So, I'd say proceed with some caution, I suspect it is not a 100% reliable service on android (iOS seems rock solid). [My code is nothing special, its in my congo repo - involves lots of hacking around to the android template].