Full screen / interstitial ads by Admob?

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/Full screen / interstitial ads by Admob?

benmc(Posted 2014) [#1]
Had anyone had any luck modifying the Admob code, or implementing their own, that get the new Admob full screen interstitial ads working?

https://developers.google.com/mobile-ads-sdk/docs/admob/advanced

Snader(Posted 2014) [#2]
No luck yet. I will love to use the Admob full screen interstitial ads to see if that makes any difference to my earnings.

SLotman(Posted 2014) [#3]
I'm never trying that. I plain hate all apps with full screen ads - its very, very annoying. And I usually don't mind having a banner somewhere with ads!

Other bad thing is that it breaks user immersion. Even if you're between levels, player can still be "in" the game - showing a huge ad blocking all screen giving no option to the player but to close it to proceed will definitively break immersion.

IMHO it's hurtful to games - but I've read some reports of people indeed making money off of it, so what do I know... =P

benmc(Posted 2014) [#4]
Well, everyone has an opinion, but interstitial ads are available in Admob, and I really want to do it.

I have a puzzle-ish game that ends after you play through for about a minute. Having a full-screen ad would make sense. What wouldn't make sense is a banner on every screen. But if the player could finish the "puzzle", press a Next button, see a full-screen ad, X the ad out, and then continue to play again, then it would be perfect. I think that would be far less obtrusive than a banner.

I don't like full-screen ads that surprise users either, nobody does, but a full screen ad that you expect to see at a certain time is fine. And then I will also have a paid option so they can remove ads all together - and sometimes a more intrusive ad makes people want to remove them more.

Check out reddit's /r/gamedev if you haven't already. Lots of good posts about indie game developers and their experiences with various ad types and networks, and over and over again, they swear by these interstitial ads over banners.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#5]
Yeah I would like to use them as well, I use the banners at the moment but you have to realize that using a banner takes up screen space, the interstitial adds don't because their screen is dedicated to the add, as for being in the zone with a game, it's easy to place the add once your game is over, play>gameover>ad>main menu that way your getting your ad view in without breaking player immersion because the game is over.

I really suck at java or I would try and patch it in myself :/

Arabia(Posted 2014) [#6]
I can't help with the implementing of this, but my 2 cents on the issue.

I've been playing a hell of a lot of a card game lately on my Android tab. It uses banner ads, and while the banner doesn't obscure game play, it annoys the hell out of me having it on the screen - I'd much rather suffer through a full screen sized ad after every game and have to go to the trouble of closing the the ad rather than have this annoying banner at the top of my screen during game play.

benmc(Posted 2014) [#7]
That's true. Advertising is a balance, and making it work effectively, and not annoy the user is an art.

Look at regular radio. Basically, commercials are interstitial ads - but they put 10 back to back sometimes and it makes listening unbearable. Then there's Pandora, same thing, only (on the stations I listen to) they have 1 interstitial ad that lasts 10 to 30 seconds every couple of songs and it's practically elegant.

Big media need to suck every penny out of their content, but in a smaller, independent game developer world, we can pretty easily get away with 1 small interstitial ad after every (or every couple) game plays. And of course, it all depends on the type of game. Sometimes banners work, sometimes paid upgrades work, it's just a balance we have to find, and no matter what anyone's opinion is, we need the technical ability to try all ad types of advertising in our games so we can make an educated decision based on a/b testing, statistical analysis, trial and error, etc, as to which option makes the most sense for our game.

silentshark(Posted 2014) [#8]
+1 for any howto's on admob interstitials :-)