Tesco's Hudl

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/Tesco's Hudl

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#1]
Sup all... first of all hope santa gave you all what you wanted :)

Ok, so I got my 10 year old Daughter who happens to be my biggest fan :P , a Hudl from Tesco, looks like a really nice little device and the first thing she asked me was to try one of my work in progress games which she enjoys messing with.

Trouble is , even after throwing jellybean into debug mode, Jungle wont or the device wont run the game just hangs on installing. am I missing a setting some where that I have forgotten about ? or has anyone done something on a hudl yet?

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2013) [#2]
Maybe narrow it down a bit..
If you grab one of mine from either GooglePlay or the APK on my archive, does that install?

If so, you know Monkey works, so can try to figure out why your particular game doesn't. ...Perhaps it needs signed first?
If it doesn't install, it's either a Tesco-Only-Lock, or it dislikes Monkey entirely.. :/

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#3]
Nah it runs the apps , its the compile -> usb cable -> device in debug mode thats not working, its running everything else its just not running when its getting the app from jungle/ide over usb.

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2013) [#4]
I've never used the USB-insta-run method. Pop it to a server somewhere, and download it on the device. Do that once, then in future you can simply overwrite the apk in the download folder each time. Much easier, no faffing about.

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#5]
Yeah bought for your daughter. I see what you did there. I always just drop my apks into my Google drive or drop box and run install from there rather that the USB method.

Wylaryzel(Posted 2013) [#6]
I use most of the time google drive too. What I have learned in the beginning of messing around with android that several of the devices needs an updated USB driver for your system in order to fully utilize the development cycle.

smilertoo(Posted 2013) [#7]
The insta run didn't work for me until i told windows to update the tablet drivers and pointed them at the android sdk folder. (nexus7)

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#8]
Another angle is to go command line and use ADB to see if you can communicate with the device directly, and try launching the main activity from there.
http://developer.android.com/tools/help/adb.html

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#9]
I just copy the apk using usb, then install it using android file manager.

Ironstorm(Posted 2013) [#10]
Maybe new drivers will help. http://athena.outer-reaches.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/HudlDrivers.zip

Found in this article: http://athena.outer-reaches.com/wp/index.php/archives/1170

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#11]
Easiest thing? Copy the APK to an SD card and install from there...

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#12]
Damn, installed those drivers and now neither my hudl or my galaxy s4 will build and run, so they broke something :( , what makes it worse is I cant recall where I got the drivers I was using for the galaxy :(

BOO!!!>.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#13]
OK, so the fun continues, I install the galaxy s usb drivers and now the hudl builds and runs but the phone wont ROFL FML.

if push comes to shove I want my phone to build, I don't mind using dropbox for the hudle since that's my daughters and I wont be testing on it to often. :/ but would have been nice if it all just worked without hassle.

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2013) [#14]
D'oh!

From experience, if you can build it, LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!
Android Dev is an extraordinarily fragile thing!!
It's a bit of a pain to go the longwinded "upload/download" route, but it isn't going to break your Devkit.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#15]
Yeah Im now at the stage where I have taken out the whole SDK and am now installing it all again for fear that I broke the usb drivers which I cant or could not seem to get working again.

Once I have it working now I wont be touching it unless some in monkey actually requires it, it's such a simple little convenience thing, build, run, run on device I got so used to it that now its gone I really notice how much longer it takes to even use something like dropbox.

Plan atm, fix my phone so it works, and use drop box for any and all other devices that I want to try . :/ lesson well learned there I think.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#16]
Finally got it working, for me at least the SDK extra's useb driver didnt work, neither did the others I found, what worked for me was installing Samsung Kies, which hillariously enough does not actually recognize the phone I think because its in developer mode, but it did install the required driver I was missing..

hope this helps some one else in the future.