Where's the release build?

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/Where's the release build?

nori(Posted 2013) [#1]
I've installed the jdk, adk, ant and changed the monkey config respectively. But when I press F7 in Ted it always creates a MonkeyGame-debug.apk, even if I select "Release", even if I previously kill the game.build (and processes like that of bluestacks or adb).

Shouldn't Monkey create a MonkeyGame-release.apk? All I can find is a MonkeyGame.ap_ without classes.dex, that might be a release build (?).

(Bluestacks runs my very basic game with a lot of jitter, so I thought, I'd better test the release build.)

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#2]
Both builds are named the same.

nori(Posted 2013) [#3]
ok *g thanks

Nobuyuki(Posted 2013) [#4]
If you add the following lines to the entry point of your project, you can build a "MonkeyGame-release.apk".

#ANDROID_KEY_STORE="../../release-key.keystore"
#ANDROID_KEY_ALIAS="release-key-alias"
#ANDROID_KEY_STORE_PASSWORD="password"
#ANDROID_KEY_ALIAS_PASSWORD="password"
#ANDROID_SIGN_APP=True

You have to make a keystore and put it in your root folder, as well as supplying the password for the keystore and the alias in that keystore (keystores can have multiple aliases, say for example if you want to store all of your game's keys in one keystore). When signing the app, trans will make the proper build.

Some other things to consider:

You should iterate #ANDROID_VERSION_CODE and #ANDROID_VERSION_NAME on each version so that users can get proper OTA updates. The name string can be anything, but the version code should iterate one release at a time.

Midimaster(Posted 2013) [#5]
@Nobuyuki
Nice! Thank you!
Is that a complete replacement for the old way of signing the app? Does this mean I do not need anymore this step-by-step procedure? This would be very helpful.... Since which version is it implemented?

what are these two password line good for? Why two?

Nobuyuki(Posted 2013) [#6]
no more step by step procedure. I used it myself to update an old app today.
The key store password accesses the keystore. the alias password is to authorize that you can use the alias (the signing key) for the app you're signing.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#7]
no more step by step procedure. I used it myself to update an old app today.

You just need to rename the apk file then?

Nobuyuki(Posted 2013) [#8]
I didn't even bother to do that. Just drag and drop into the APK upload on the dev console, making sure the version number is unique and Google seems to do the rest.

Midimaster(Posted 2013) [#9]
Ok... I will try this on my next project. Thanks a lot!