Monkey and Android NDK?

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/Monkey and Android NDK?

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#1]
I see references in the config files of Monkey to the location of the Android NDK. I wonder what it is used for and if it is optional, how can it be activated? Do you have any info to share?

therevills(Posted 2013) [#2]
It might be setting up for the Android NDK target.

Mark talked about the Android NDK target here:
http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=5548#62621

Sammy(Posted 2014) [#3]
I'm a little confused here, is the Android NDK target available? I installed it and then modified the config file NDK path but I am unsure what to do next?

Sammy(Posted 2014) [#4]
Looks like I am being a little premature with the NDK. I assume the NDK references are for a new unreleased target?

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#5]
Best thing to do is email Mark and ask what idea he has to implement it.
Will trans detect that you want to import a C/C++ files and call the the NDK tools and use a mixed mode or will it be a complete new target. But from what I have been reading about the NDK; it not a good idea to use it if you want to target all Android devices as it ties you to a CPU architecture.

Nobuyuki(Posted 2014) [#6]
Architecture isn't actually as big of a deal as you might think it is. Ever since late PocketPC days, ARM has been the dominant architecture. There used to be multiple architectures there, too, but most people stopped caring about MIPS, x86 and SuperH (SH-4) long ago. Almost all Android devices run on ARM architecture. The only ones I know run on MIPS are Novo tablets, and lots of major apps are broken on them because of that.

Sammy(Posted 2014) [#7]
GLBasic uses the Android NDK for it's Android compiles. And although Monkey is by far the superior language from a syntax point of view, GLBasic is a LOT faster on Android than Monkey, esp. with heavy processing applications, like physics for example. Compatibility is definitely very good though on Monkey using Java, although having used the NDK already, compatibility was not a real problem, IMHO, in an Android world where 99% of the Android devices run an ARM processor as Nobuyuki stated.