genymotion - android emulator replacement!

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/genymotion - android emulator replacement!

Skn3(Posted 2013) [#1]
So I was temporarily without an android phone to test on and I was getting sick of the incredibly bad performance of the google android emulator. I tried a few other solutions but ended up finding this:

http://www.genymotion.com/

It automates installation of various android images in virtualbox.

I had some issues booting the emulator through the genymotion GUI, but I don't know if that is due to my crappy temporary graphics card? Anyway, it adds a virtual machine to virtualbox automatically, so its possible to boot it up from virtualbox.

Genymtion connects via ADB, so if you have done it manually from virtualbox then you would have to connect ADB manually.

The performance seems nice!

CopperCircle(Posted 2013) [#2]
Sounds good, I will take a look. Thanks.

Snader(Posted 2013) [#3]
Thanks for this information, really helpfull!

CopperCircle(Posted 2013) [#4]
This works pretty well and is allot faster than the google emulator, just note if you are on Windows 8 you need to setup a no Hyper-V boot option to allow the hardware virtualisation to be available.

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#5]
I'll check this out tonight

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#6]
Try Bluestacks. Very, very fast and amazingly good.

Skn3(Posted 2013) [#7]
Unfortunately bluestacks doesn't recognise my x1000 graphics card. When I get my other one back from RMA I'll give it another try. I did try it before but had issues getting ADB to connect. How did you manage?

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#8]
I just installed it here, and everything works like a charm.

I was apprehensive about it since I am on win8, but everything worked out pretty well.

Even monkey runs the compiled games into Bluestacks - It takes a while to upload, while Eclipse upload the same code lightning fast - but it does work for me 'out of the box'.