SMS or E-Mail selection on tablets?

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/SMS or E-Mail selection on tablets?

Midimaster(Posted 2013) [#1]
I wrote an app, where the user can send a message to another person. If there is a telephone in the deciv he can send a SMS. If there is any internet connection in the device he can send it as e-mail.

This means, that I now had to add the permission to SEND_SMS. I updated this app on GooglePlay. But now all users with tablets without 3G cannot download the app anymore... GooglePlay does not offer it for them.

In my app the SMS would only be an optional feature. But GooglePlay handles it like an required hardware feature.

Is there a chance to create an app, which offers SMS to those who are able to send, but allows also the others to install the app?

Volker(Posted 2013) [#2]
Google for "android manifest permissions optional required false".
http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/manifest/uses-feature-element.html#permissions

<uses-permission
android:name="android.permission.SEND_SMS"
android:required="false" >
</uses-permission>

Something like that hopefully will do it.

Midimaster(Posted 2013) [#3]
Oh thank you... but why do you write "hopefully"? Did'nt you make experiences with this?

I already read that, but I did not understand, what in means in practice....

So,... if my app uses a feature, but does not need it imperative, I would declare it as android:required="false"?

Does anybody else already made experiences with this. I dont want to upload a apk which afterwards make more problems than the current one...

by the way....

Did anybody already uses this GooglePlay feature of uploading a beta-version apk?

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#4]
"So,... if my app uses a feature, but does not need it imperative, I would declare it as android:required="false"?"

I have not tried it, but that is how I understand the page. It makes sense, I think.

Volker(Posted 2013) [#5]
Hopefully because I have no experience with this.
I understand it the same way as Gerry.

Did anybody already uses this GooglePlay feature of uploading a beta-version apk?

Is it already in the developer console? How can I upload a beta?

Midimaster(Posted 2013) [#6]
thank you, Gerry, thank you Volker!

I was very courageous now and uploaded a new version. I also tried the feature "Beta-test". I will see, what my beta tester tell me and what happens....

nice to have this forum!

Midimaster(Posted 2013) [#7]
I want to give a short report about this problem:

There is no chance in GooglePlay to offer apps to tablet devices without telephony hardware, when your app contains a function to send a SMS. My function offer this only optional, the user also can select "via E-Mail".

But GooglePlay reduces the amout of possible devices to ~2400 devices.

I added this line to the manifest:

<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.SEND_SMS" android:required="false"  />

but no chance: the additional android:required="false" was not enough to open the apk for tablet too.

After removing all SMS functionality and removing the line in the manifest, the amout of devices rises to ~2800.

@Volker:
First you have to found a GoogleGroup. Now invite members to this group and accept them.

Second step is to upload a Beta-Version. There is a second TAB on the APK upload page.

As a third step you can now invite all members of the group to download the Beta-APK

Volker(Posted 2013) [#8]
Thanks for the beta hints, Midimaster.

I found another link for your problem.
Looks like Google Play treats as though requesting a permission like CALL_PHONE (SEND_SMS) also requests:
<uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.telephony" />

So:
<uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.telephony"
android:required="false" />

is although needed!

http://commonsware.com/blog/2011/02/25/xoom-permissions-android-market.html

Midimaster(Posted 2013) [#9]
oh.. thank you... this sounds logic... I will do another test!