How to target tablets

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/How to target tablets

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#1]
What should be done to target tablets too on the Google Play store. anyone has been there before?

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#2]
Not sure if this answers your question but I noticed there are now 7" and 10" tablet screenshot upload options when your submit an app (I don't think they used to be there) - I assume if you add screens shots to this section it gets flagged a tablet app on the store?

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#3]
I think so. I've added those as well but don't know if it's visible for tablets now as I don't own one...

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#4]
The app console says that you have to make some changes to the manifest, something related to screen sizes, etc. but I'm a bit lost as this is the first time I'm publishing for an android tablet. I should get one just to test this...

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#5]
Ah yeah that, something to do with the screen size (large & xlarge for tablet I think) that you specify in the manifest though I think that is only relevant for 3.0 onwards, there is some other stuff like min DPI but I think that is pre 3.0 - it's a nightmare TBH. Some effect the app at runtime some are just used to filter the app on the play store.... arggggggg!

So yeah bets bet is to buy a tablet and good old trial and error, might want to stay away from those cheap so called tablets with 800x480 resolution cus they're just big phones displays really.

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#6]
What would you considere a minimum resolution for a proper test?

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#7]
I've always gone by this from the android dev site (http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/screens_support.html)

320dp: a typical phone screen (240x320 ldpi, 320x480 mdpi, 480x800 hdpi, etc).
480dp: a tweener tablet like the Streak (480x800 mdpi).
600dp: a 7” tablet (600x1024 mdpi).
720dp: a 10” tablet (720x1280 mdpi, 800x1280 mdpi, etc).

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#8]
"might want to stay away from those cheap so called tablets with 800x480 resolution cus they're just big phones displays really."

OTOH, it may be a good baseline resolution to target. There are a lot of those out there.

Bear in mind that they don't really always have 800 x 480. Recent Androids tend to steal an indefinite amount for the Android task bar.

Zurrr(Posted 2013) [#9]
my apps is listed in google play samsung tablet just like before. Google suggest few thing to be done to support tablet. I didn't do anything yet since i can see them there. but i'm not sure in other tablet device.

silentshark(Posted 2013) [#10]
http://developer.android.com/distribute/googleplay/quality/tablet.html#support-screens

Not sure, but some implement tweaks o the manifest file (steps 8 and 10), and some fancy screenshots may be all that's required...

sandfella(Posted 2013) [#11]
seems that the targetSdkVersion needs to be set to 11 ...or something, more info here:
http://developer.android.com/distribute/googleplay/quality/tablet.html#android-versions

Didnt test (yet) though.

edit: here they recommend value 9: http://www.realglitch.com/2013/05/google-play-tablet-filters-for-applications/

sandfella(Posted 2013) [#12]
I changed some values (can paste em here once I'm on my main computer. 11 and 15 or such I used)) plus added couple of screenshots to my game page on googleplay... and it works! Got Nexus 7 guy saying that it works just fine. Also another android tablet user said it's fine (he earlier reported that "google play says it's not compatible")

btw, mini-game is "Angry Troll Run" in google play

sandfella(Posted 2013) [#13]
I have this in the manifest template xml file:

<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="11" android:targetSdkVersion="14" />

<supports-screens android:resizeable="false"
                  android:smallScreens="true" 
                  android:normalScreens="true" 
                  android:largeScreens="true" 
                  android:xlargeScreens="true"
                  android:anyDensity="true"
                  />

I dunno if I could use smaller values, but at least this works for some.

silentshark(Posted 2013) [#14]
Cheers for posting the above - that's useful

sandfella(Posted 2013) [#15]
hmmm, android requirement rose up. I'm going to try change minsdkversion to lower number and see if I can get this to support android 2.2+ or so...

So... please do not trust my copypasthings here :D

silentshark(Posted 2013) [#16]
@sandfella - what's your latest thoughts on this? We're about to upload a new app to Google Play, and it'd be great not to cut out tablets (as the game in question is much more playable on tablets!)