Monkey apps crashing on 4.1+

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/Monkey apps crashing on 4.1+

Evil Roy Ferguson(Posted 2013) [#1]
Not really sure what's going on, but it seems like even trivial "Cls loop" sorts of apps are crashing instantly on Android 4.1+ in the Intel Atom images, the default ARM images, or AndroVM.

This is the full error I'm getting:

Starting: Intent { cmp=com.monkey/.MonkeyGame }
--------- beginning of /dev/log/main
E/AndroidRuntime( 1644): 
E/AndroidRuntime( 1644): >>>>>> AndroidRuntime START com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit <<<<<<
E/AndroidRuntime( 1644): will FindClass com/android/internal/os/RuntimeInit
--------- beginning of /dev/log/system
E/Trace   ( 1654): error opening trace file: No such file or directory (2)
E/Sensors (  282): poll__setDelay() with handle=0 ns=66667000
E/Sensors (  282): poll__setDelay() with handle=0 ns=20000000
F/libc    ( 1654): Fatal signal 11 (SIGSEGV) at 0x0000ffec (code=1), thread 1667 (Thread-135)
E/InputDispatcher(  282): channel 'a6c98988 com.monkey/com.monkey.MonkeyGame (server)' ~ Channel is unrecoverably broken and will be disposed!
E/Sensors (  282): poll__setDelay() with handle=0 ns=66667000

It's worth nothing that it's not just my games that are crashing -- any games written in Monkey (even compiled elsewhere) are crashing. I also get this if I install Monkey apps from APKs.

Has anybody else run into this sort of issue?

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#2]
error opening trace file? weird.

i'm on 4.1.1 Nexus S and monkey works here. that said, i don't think i'm on the latest monkey version.

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#3]
I'm on Android 4.2 on my Nexus 7 and 4.1 on my Samsung S3 - was compiling and testing an app (monkey V70e) last night without issue.

Evil Roy Ferguson(Posted 2013) [#4]
I've tried with Monkey V70e and V69 with the same results. As I said, though, it's not just my apps - it's any app written in Monkey, including from the Play Store.

Might need to try a real device? I just can't get them running in the simulator on any of my machines.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#5]
from a quick query, looks like Fatal signal 11 SIGSEV is native code segmentation fault.
since monkey is Java based, not sure where this is coming from.

Might need to try a real device?

if its the simulator, try increasing the heap and memory on the AVD.

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#6]
You might want to download the Amazon Kindle fire reference images and the Nexus images - I think this is done in the SDK downloader that was installed along side the ADM or what ever the emulator is called, I always find it hard to get a custom image running though setting RAM to 512 seems to fix most issues.