Strange Bug while Compiling

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/Strange Bug while Compiling

Midimaster(Posted 2013) [#1]
I already developed some games on on my android smartphone. But now I suddenly get error messages while compiling any monkey code.

f.e this code...

Strict
Import mojo

Class Game Extends App

Method OnCreate%()
		SetUpdateRate 60
		Return 0
	End	

Method OnUpdate%()
		If KeyHit(KEY_ESCAPE) Then Error ""
		Return 0
	End	

Method OnRender%()
		Cls 255,0,255
		Return 0
	End	
End

Function Main%()
	New Game
	Return 0
End

... compiles and runs 3 times perfect, but the 4.th time I suddenly get this error message:
install:
[echo] Installing C:\Monkey\Vorlagen\AbsolutLeer.build\android\bin\MonkeyGame-debug.apk onto default emulator or device...
[exec] pkg: /data/local/tmp/MonkeyGame-debug.apk
[exec] Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE]
[exec] 2844 KB/s (45512 bytes in 0.015s)

Now I have to shut down the smartphone to run a successful compiler run. After 2 or 3 runs the same problem appears again.

At first I thought it could be my mistake, but at the end I recognized that already this minimal program causes the same behavior. During the test, the only variation I do, is to change the CLS color to differ the results on the smartphone.

The smartphone is a Samsung GT-S5300 XXLD2 Android 2.3.6.35.7, the Monkey Version is a V66b.

This is the complete compiler protocoll:

Did anybody had already the same same problem?

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#2]
I get that too off and on.

therevills(Posted 2013) [#3]
From the error message: INSTALL_FAILED_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE , it sounds like your device is out of space... but a quick Google show it might not be the case.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4709137/solution-android-install-failed-insufficient-storage-error

Midimaster(Posted 2013) [#4]
The device is definitly not out of space and this test app is 80k!!!

It never happened before and I did not install anything new during the last two weeks.

As a first reaction now I will try to compile only RELEASE to my smartphone. Perhaps it save some RAM. Could it be that a DEBUG compile needs such a lot of space?

While struggling around I recognized there is a lot of sh.. on the smartphone, which I never installed. But how to know, what is important and what not? I would like to work for my new app and not spending hours with smartphone hickups the whole day long...

so long... it is back breaking... how much time do you spend struggling agains machines?

therevills(Posted 2013) [#5]
Did you read the link I posted?

Try the first suggestion there:
add the android:installLocation attribute to your application's manifest file, with the value "preferExternal"

This isnt an issue with Monkey but with the Android SDK...

Midimaster(Posted 2013) [#6]
well, thats what I meanwhile discovered...

I changed install location towards SD-Card.

But it seems, it has nothing to do with the installation itself. If I compile a DEBUG build, the problem will happen immediately. If I compile a RELEASE build it will not happen as long as there is no bug in my app.

If there is any bug, I get one of those blue box messages on the samrtphone and can I stop my app with the Task Manager. But now the next build will fail with the error message...

[exec] Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE]

... in monkey console.

Could it be a problem of the size of any debug protocols?