320x480 screen and 600 MHz processor

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/320x480 screen and 600 MHz processor

CGV(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi, I'm buying my first Android phone as a testing device and i can pick up an LG Optimus V for $50 but it only has a 320x480 screen and a 600 MHz processor.

Are those specs too low these days or can I still get away with it.

I really just need to test the touch screen functionality of my games and that's pretty much all.

full specs

benmc(Posted 2013) [#2]
Well, if you're looking to test on what the majority of users will have, you probably want a better phone.

http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

I test my Android apps exclusively on an old Galaxy Tab 7" and have had no problems however. I have friends/family who let me check out my app on their higher-res/more-powerful devices just to make sure everything is fine, and as long as I do my scaling right and keep my processing requirements reasonable, I've been good.

therevills(Posted 2013) [#3]
Just think if you can get your game running smoothly on that machine, it would be running even better on faster devices :)

I still use my LG Optimus One P500 for Dev work (320 x 480 screen and 600 MHz ARM 11).

CGV(Posted 2013) [#4]
Thanks for the replies. But I'm now thinking I might just shell out for a Nexus 7.

What's involved in getting your game running on these older devices. Do you have to go into the native code and optimize stuff? That would be way out of my skill set.

therevills(Posted 2013) [#5]
Do you have to go into the native code and optimize stuff? That would be way out of my skill set.

Nope, Monkey is pretty good now... of course if you wanted to you could ;)

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2013) [#6]
Monkey Games fail to install on a HTC Wildfire (1), but then that's running Android 1.0, and fails to run a majority of everything, ever!
Avoid at all costs.

If you can get a decent android version running on a craptastic phone, then I'd say go for it. It's the device that cheap-folk would have, and is a suitable test device in my eyes.

I was in a somewhat similar situation the other week, trying to decide whether to go for a Sony Xpress Pro Mini, or a Nexus 7 (Same catalogue company, perhaps?) I ended up getting the Nexus 7, and am quite happy I did, but for the lack of buttons to actually test button-based gaming on. hmm... I'm now tempted to go back to them and order the phone, too, just for comparison's sake, but I've gotta wait for my bill to go back down a wee bit, first!

CGV(Posted 2013) [#7]
Good point! I guess you do need more than one device to test on, maybe I will get them both.

slenkar(Posted 2013) [#8]
has anyone had experience with xperia play?
it has a nice 1ghz processor and real game controls but ive heard the screen has issues