Tutorial:Get Android working on Ubuntu Linux 12.10

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/Tutorial:Get Android working on Ubuntu Linux 12.10

EdzUp(Posted 2013) [#1]
How I got it working I followed these simple steps (many thanks to slenkar for help with javac):
1)You have to download Monkey version 67c or above, version 66 or below never supported Linux.

2)Get the android sdk from the android website, the important bit is choosing the 'already have a ide' option ( http://dl.google.com/android/android-sdk_r21.1-linux.tgz ) this will allow you to download just the sdk. Extract it into your home folder which is the default monkey folder for it.

3)Download Apache-ant ( Terminal command "sudo apt-get install ant" ) this will install it for you

4)Very important step this one (thanks once again to slenkar for pointing this out), you MUST install Oracle Java NOT OpenJDK. Do this using the following steps:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
sudo apt-get update
sudo mkdir -p /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
sudo apt-get install oracle-jdk7-installer

that will do it for you (borrowed from http://ubuntuportal.com/2012/01/how-to-install-oracle-java-development-kit-7-jdk7-in-ubuntu-11-1012-04-via-ppa.html )

5) Copy the java entries from the bin/config.winnt.txt file into your bin/config.linux.txt so monkey can see it

6) finally run monkey :D

After that you should be able to select android and completely compile a monkey file so you can then deploy the apk on your chosen device :)

(once again a huge thanks to slenkar for help with getting this working on me eeepc 701SD, and a thanks to the websites used to get everything installed) :)

jwl(Posted 2013) [#2]
Good info THANKS! Maybe all this good stuff should be added to a how to Monkey TARGET manual? This info will only get buried in the postings forcing us to search through it all....

Plain(Posted 2013) [#3]
Another tip:

- Make sure you have your transcc_linux chmodded as an executable.

chmod +x transcc_linux

Otherwise, you might not get any target at all. (just an empty selection box)

- Same goes for other Linux executables. ^^

Plain(Posted 2013) [#4]
- If you happen to get this error while compiling for GLFW:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lopenal

This will fix it:

sudo apt-get install libopenal-dev

Plain(Posted 2013) [#5]
Last one for the night:

Getting these errors when you want to run your game?

glfwOpenWindow failed
TRANS FAILED: Error executing './MonkeyGame', return code=65280

Try this:

sudo apt-get install libglfw-dev

apamment(Posted 2013) [#6]
Got it working on OpenSUSE 12.2 with OpenJDK by setting the JDK_PATH to /usr/lib64/jvm/java

haven't got glfw working yet though i did install libglfw-dev, but i'm not too worried about that.

so excited :D dont have to use virtual box for monkey anymore