Recommended maximum texture size

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/Recommended maximum texture size

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#1]
Which is the average recommended texture maximum size for most Android devices? I mean devices that run games, not very very low devices, but decent ones that people expect to play games in

Beaker(Posted 2013) [#2]
This site might help:
http://www.glbenchmark.com/phonedetails.jsp?benchmark=glpro21&D=Google%20Galaxy%20Nexus&testgroup=gl

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#3]
Thanks Beaker!

Could a Gallaxy Nexus be considered a regular Android Phone, or a High end one? mmmmm It's sort of a little over the average, isn't it?

Beaker(Posted 2013) [#4]
I've no idea. But looking at this very old device:
http://www.glbenchmark.com/phonedetails.jsp?benchmark=glpro25&D=Google+Nexus+One&testgroup=gl
..you can see that larger than 1024 texture sizes are not uncommon.

dragon(Posted 2013) [#5]
2x 1024x1024 is OpenGL ES 1 standard

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#6]
You mean that a couple of 1024x1024 textures is a sort of maximum texture load on an old device?

Is texture size testing something I can reliably see on the ultra slow Android emultator? (any way to make it usable?) It works like a charom on my phone, but it's a Motorola Droid Maxx wich may not be exactly a low end phone, so I'm not sure how reliable my testing is.

secondgear(Posted 2013) [#7]
ziggy,

I have a Nexus One and I can test your apk and tell you what I see. I even have an ancient HTC G1 - the granddaddy of all Android phones.

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#8]
Thanks! I've not yet packaged textures for the game, as the artist is still at it, and it may take several months, I'm just trying to get a correct "view" of what to expect for each platform.

CalebDev(Posted 2013) [#9]
The Galaxy Nexus is actually about the baseline for Android device performance anymore. I haven't heard of any Android devices that have come out in the last 18 months or so that don't support a max texture size of 2048x2048. The problem with larger textures is loading times. Not all Android devices use high speed NAND flash so loading of large assets (i.e. textures, audio, video, etc.) can take some time. Plus, NAND flash gets slower as it gets filled up so if the user only has enough space on their device for your app it will load slower than if it was the only app installed.

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#10]
Thanks!!