Android Emulator

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/Android Emulator

MaxPower(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi guys
Im a noob here with this Android stuff.I have made the AVD 3.2 as in the Monkey docs,but when i go to device,drop down menu in AVD,it throws loads of devices at me.ie: Nexus 5,Nexus 7,what on earth do i use as a default in Monkey.If you know what i mean.

Midimaster(Posted 2012) [#2]
I would not recommend to use the android emulator. I tried it on my computer, but it was that slow, that I had no chance to test/survey my programs.

In the end I bought a android phone, connected it to the computer and it immediately worked perfect with monkey.

It is not worth spending time in testing the emulator.

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#3]
Yes, the emulator is sssslllllooooooooooowwwwwww! Teh only thing I would use it for is if I want to see how it looks on a specific screen size.

Regarding the devices you can choose from, you can choose any you like. If your app is not running on it, it could indicate a problem with such a device. But do yourself favor and test on a real device!

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2012) [#4]
I just made up my own virtual device specification with a few different versions of the OS.

The emulator is usable for testing so long as you are not concerned with speed, but really you should get a real device. The cheapest you can find will be fine for testing (so long as it has a USB port, but I think all of them do).

Also, if using the emulator don't worry if it has no sound, or if programs sometimes randomly fail to start, especially when emulating older Android versions. It was like that on mine, and when I got a real one there were no problems.

Sub_Zero(Posted 2013) [#5]
Also, keyboard doesn't work in the emulator