Android 4.2 problems

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/Android 4.2 problems

Capn Lee(Posted 2012) [#1]
I am unable to run any Monkey Game on the newly released Android 4.2 (The 2nd version of Jellybean recently released for Nexus devices)

I've tested on a Nexus 4 and on a colleague's recently updated Galaxy Nexus but on both devices the application opens and immediately closes. Games ran fine on the Galaxy Nexus when it was on the 4.1 version of Jellybean.

I tried two games, one of my own using just mojo and BallsOut from Mike Hart's tutotials, both behaved the same.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#2]
What happens? Any error message?

My Nexus 7 hasnt updated yet.

Capn Lee(Posted 2012) [#3]
I've recorded a short video of what happens. There is no error message and I can confirm both apks run fine on Jellybean 4.1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX6GBoAI5Pc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

the first apk I try to run is set to force landscape and you can see it loads in to landscape mode

therevills(Posted 2012) [#4]
My Nexus has just updated and I tried to play Pets Day Out and it crashes straight away.

Supertino(Posted 2012) [#5]
same here my nexus 7 just updated my game does not work, also therevills pirate solitaire, screen goes black for a second or two and returns you to home screen.

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#6]
Nasty if all monkey android apps have broken with the 4.2 upgrade... What ls will have broken, one wonders

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#7]
Nasty if all monkey android apps have broken with the 4.2 upgrade... What ls will have broken, one wonders

benmc(Posted 2012) [#8]
My games all do the exact same thing in the 4.2 emulator.

The error seems to lead back to the following lines in Flush() function:

GLES11.glEnable( GLES11.GL_TEXTURE_2D );

I get the following errors each time:

11-17 03:14:39.937: E/AndroidRuntime(1357): FATAL EXCEPTION: GLThread 125
11-17 03:14:39.937: E/AndroidRuntime(1357): java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No config chosen
11-17 03:14:39.937: E/AndroidRuntime(1357): at android.opengl.GLSurfaceView$BaseConfigChooser.chooseConfig(GLSurfaceView.java:874)
11-17 03:14:39.937: E/AndroidRuntime(1357): at android.opengl.GLSurfaceView$EglHelper.start(GLSurfaceView.java:1024)
11-17 03:14:39.937: E/AndroidRuntime(1357): at android.opengl.GLSurfaceView$GLThread.guardedRun(GLSurfaceView.java:1401)
11-17 03:14:39.937: E/AndroidRuntime(1357): at android.opengl.GLSurfaceView$GLThread.run(GLSurfaceView.java:1240)

DGuy(Posted 2012) [#9]
In my testing using a 4.2 (API Level 17) AVD, the crash always occurs during the call to:

GLES11.glTexSubImage2D()

glGetError() after each and every call to OGL indicates no errors.

Commenting out the call to GLES11.glTexSubImage2D prevents the crash (but of course drawn images are just boxes of random colored texels).

maltic(Posted 2012) [#10]
Seems like a bug with Android 4.2, not Monkey. Other people are reporting this error.
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=39845

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#11]
interesting.. it would be nice if Google fixed this, and there was no recompilation of our Monkey programs needed :-)

therevills(Posted 2012) [#12]
Angry birds and a few others still works fine...

Supertino(Posted 2012) [#13]
Aye I think if it was a "bug" in 4.2 the android news site would be full of reports, all I am seeing are reports about bluetooth issues with 4.2 - any who hope it gets fixed soon be it a jellybean or monkey problem.

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#14]
Can someone confirm that all monkey apps are affected. According to google play, I've got a (small) number or active users on 4.2, whatever that means. If s/ones on JB, could they check my app below? Pretty please!

Supertino(Posted 2012) [#15]
Just download Yikes! to my 4.2 nexus 7 - did not run, same issue as my app and others.

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#16]
Ok, thx that was built from v60 monkey. So at this point does it appear that all monkey apps are affected? Bleurgh!

Supertino(Posted 2012) [#17]
would appear so my app was built from v66 but I tried an old app that would have been built using v4x or v5x and that also didn't work.

I am going to see if anything happens this weekend if not I might just rebuild my apps to specify a maxSDK in the manifest.

<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="integer" 
          android:targetSdkVersion="integer"
          android:maxSdkVersion="integer" />

to avoid any negative reviews.

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#18]
Others are having issues. S/one on this thread mentions that new star soccer is broken now, which is consistent..

http://www.androidauthority.com/nexus-7-on-android-4-2-having-problems-updating-google-play-apps-131524/

And you can see reviews coming in on google play (e.g for NSS) showing lots of 4.2 users are struggling with monkey apps..

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#19]
Would someone who is fortunate enough to have an Android device which is running 4.2 do me a massive favour, and see if my app now starts up ok?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9827698/yzr.apk

It's a small download (<3Mb), so should only take a few secs to check out.

I've taken the fix Mark posted, and backported it onto v60 of Monkey which I'm using, and recompiled. It'd be great to know if this works on 4.2, now, because I've got no way of testing. I'd love to get a Nexus 10, I must say!

Thanks in advance, if anyone is willing to help :-)

Supertino(Posted 2012) [#20]
@SilentShark - yup running fine now on my Nexus 7 running 4.2

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#21]
@Supertino - you are a star, and I owe you a favour.. I will update on Google Play tonight.. :-) Many thanks..

DGuy(Posted 2012) [#22]
Marks' fix seems to have worked.

Re-ran some test on a 4.2 AVD and no more crashes.

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#23]
..and hopefully hasn't broken backwards compatibility. I did some random testing on 4.1, 4.0 and 2.3 devices, and all seemed good.

Uploading a new version to Google Play, with fingers crossed :-)

Foppy(Posted 2012) [#24]
Marks' fix seems to have worked.

I have searched the forums, but I wonder where is this mysterious fix to be found? :)

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#25]
Could be that the fix got lost during the server migration. But as Simon said, we will never be happy :-p

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#26]
Go to the product updates section and scroll down to the bottom.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#27]
Or just add:

buf.position( 0 );

before every GLES11.glTexImage2D call, to your own version on mojo.android.java.

Soap(Posted 2012) [#28]
I've had reports 4.2 breaks our games too. Going to try rebuilding with the fix. Latest cyanogenmod is only at 4.1.2 for my device though... will have to have users test.

Capn Lee(Posted 2012) [#29]
if you post up a link to your apk, i'd be happy to test they open for anyone

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#30]
Ah great, could you please do a quick check here?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cobblecrowd.blottypotslite

Thanks!

Capn Lee(Posted 2012) [#31]
starts up fine, played a single player round with no errors

fun game, actually

therevills(Posted 2012) [#32]
@Xaron, I can confirm that Blotty works fine now on Android 4.2.

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#33]
Thanks guys! :)

I really wonder, there are very many apps out there that won't work with Android 4.2 anymore, looking at the comments...