Updating apps on Google Play

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/Updating apps on Google Play

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi all,

Apologies for the noob-like questions here :-)

therevills posted a brilliant, concise guide on publishing a Monkey app to Google Play - http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/post.php?topic=1014&post=8800

Now.. when it comes to publishing an updated app, I suspect a similar series of steps are needed.

So far, I've gleaned that I'll need to update the AndroidManifest.xml file (the one in the templates folder of my build folder, I think?) and increment the android:versionCode by one. If I want the user to know that the app has a new version number, I'll need to update the android:versionName as well.

I guess for the .apk file I create, I will need to sign it - step 8f in therevills guide. I also guess I should NOT create a new key, though (step 8d in therevills guide)? Essentially, I should sign my updated app with the key I originally created. Or can I/ should I create a fresh key for each update? Maybe it doesn't matter.

If there's someone who's already done this, can you comment? Please?

Cheers.

golomp(Posted 2012) [#2]
Informations completely outdated, process totaly simplified by google.
;)

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#3]
That's really useful, Golomp. I'd figured as much from going through Google's docs, but it's great to see confirmation.

Glad I hung onto the key I generated :-)

matty(Posted 2012) [#4]
Actually golomp that is incorrect. you can use the same key for every different app. All my app's (6-7 of them) use the same key.

golomp(Posted 2012) [#5]
Ok Matty i probably made a mistake when i tryed.
thank you

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#6]
Just to say I updated as per golomp's instructions (above), and all went well. Devices are all updating just fine to the new version. Yeah!

golomp(Posted 2012) [#7]
Thank you silentshark, you're welcome.
For my next update i am going to use the same key as matty said because it's
easyer to script batch file and it just need to save 1 key file.