contents of AndroidManifest.xml

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/contents of AndroidManifest.xml

Foppy(Posted 2012) [#1]
I have a few questions/thoughts about the AndroidManifest.xml file.

Do you think it is OK to use the same values for the "package" and "android:name"?

For instance, as package value I now use "com.foppygames.wizardbattle2".

Can I use that same value for android:name?

(I modified CONFIG.TXT, resulting in the package name being set on the next build, but the android:name attribute remains "MonkeyGame", so I thought I'd change it manually.)

Foppy(Posted 2012) [#2]
It seems that the android:name value "MonkeyGame" should not be changed.

If I change it I get build errors such as:

Error: Activity class {com.foppygames.wizardbattle2/com.foppygames.wizardbattle2.MonkeyGame} does not exist.

If it's not a problem to use "MonkeyGame" as name for several applications then I suppose this is not a problem!

AndroidAndy(Posted 2012) [#3]
I reported a similar question a while back, but there was no response. It has been a while, but as I recall, you can't go more than one folder deep off the com. So you might be able to change to com.wizardbattle2, but there was a bug in trans somewhere that I found where it wouldn't go deeper to create the folder structure. I ended up changing the file to readonly so it wouldn't delete it then everything worked as planned. As far as the MonkeyGame name, you should be able to change that and it should be a lot easier to change than it currently is. Right now monkey writes out that configuration and it is not changed between builds. I asked Manel (Jungle IDE) if he would consider adding this capability to Jungle IDE, he said he would monitor the forums otherwise, it would be up to Mark to pay some attention to this. I think there are similar issues going to iOS as well.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#4]
MonkeyGame is the main class within the Java code, the only way to do this is to alter the code and then you will be able to alter the manifest to match it up.

I wouldnt bother though, I've had no issues - just rename the apk and the CONFIG value and you should be fine.

Foppy(Posted 2012) [#5]
Thanks guys for your responses!

As I understand it now, the MonkeyGame name does not really show up anywhere for the end-user (after changing the apk filename), unlike, for instance, the label attribute.