Monkey Targets Forums/Android/What texture is faster

teremochek(Posted 2012) [#1]
Help make the right choice.
a texture of 2048
or four textures 1024
or sixteen textures 512
Which choice is better for performance?

matty(Posted 2012) [#2]
I'm not sure a 2048 texture will even load on some phones!
I've had crashes on lots of phones when I've included more than a few 1024 size textures...and I'm not sure what the easiest way of limiting the available phones on the market for apps based on texture size is...

JIM(Posted 2012) [#3]
I would pick 4 x 1024. Most phones can handle 1024x1024, and the less textures you have, the faster it renders.

So 1024 is as high a resolution can go before you restrict your target to high-end devices.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#4]
start at the top -- one texture of 2048-- and go down from there for best to lowest performance. The key is the lowest number of times the texture needs to be switched to draw all the sprites, equals the best performance. I haven't experienced that it is the size of the texture memory being transferred that slows down rendering.

1024x1024 does seem to hit most mobile phones. 2048x2048 is more modern, but very possible, especially with tablets.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2012) [#5]
If switching is the issue, would I be right in thinking that with multiple textures, the order of drawing sprites could be crucial?

It's easy to imagine scenarios (e.g. where you have graphics in one texture and text in another) in which you could inadvertently be switching hundreds of times per frame, but with a bit of recoding you could reduce it to a small number.

Volker(Posted 2012) [#6]
Yes. I can draw several hundred times the same animation on my Galaxy Tab.
But with different images it will break immense.