Recommend an Android device

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/Recommend an Android device

siread(Posted 2012) [#1]
Can anyone recommend a good Android device for testing? I guess we should be aiming at something fairly low-spec which a typical screen size, but what are you guys using?

therevills(Posted 2012) [#2]
Just before Monkey was released I researched a bunch of phones and ended up with the LG Optimus One.

At the time it had the most used screen resolution (320x480) and a CPU that could just play games. Its been a great test device :)

DrT(Posted 2012) [#3]
I'm working on a project that requires a larger screen size, so I'm using a Vizio 8" Tablet. Got it for Christmas. Can be purchased for under $200. No problems so far with testing Monkey apps.

dave.h(Posted 2012) [#4]
i use 2 the experia x10 and galaxy tab 7" and test all my apps on both devices just to make sure everything runs the same on each.Its very easy to make a silly mistake and find one doesnt run quite the same on a different phone with a different screen size.Very happy with both although not exactly low spec.

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#5]
Try a Nexus S. Man if a device is picky than this one. I found a lot of memory issues and crashes especially with that device which ran otherwise perfectly on my Desire HD. Must be female... ;)

DruggedBunny(Posted 2012) [#6]
I've recently bought an Orange San Francisco, which is dead cheap to buy outright (mine was £60 on Ebay with P&P) but includes a great 800 x 480 screen (3.5" ?), 600+ MHz ARM CPU, accelerometer, GPS, 3D, 2x multitouch, wifi, etc.

It's not high-end at all, but runs Mojo stuff (and bruZard's recent 17-monkeys 3D test) quite well. You definitely still have to optimise for it, so I think it's a good candidate.

(Oh, and it's quite easy to unlock/root/re-flash.)

simonh(Posted 2012) [#7]
£200 for the Xperia Play is probably the best value phone in terms of cost-to-performance.

siread(Posted 2012) [#8]
Thanks guys. Now scouring ebay for a bargain...

muddy_shoes(Posted 2012) [#9]
I'd second the San Francisco/ZTE Blade. Cheaply and easily sourced as a PAYG, well-supported by the mod community so you can change OS easily and it's pretty representative of a low-mid spec phone for the near future.

matt(Posted 2012) [#10]
Another Orange San Francisco owner here.

What system software are you guys running?

muddy_shoes(Posted 2012) [#11]
2.2 Swedish Spring, but I'm planning to move to 2.3 as soon as I get organised and do the necessary google research.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#12]
I was checking the specs of these phone and compared them with mine, the LG Optimus One - and noticed that Gingerbread is finally out! \o/

So I've just updated from 2.2(I think) to 2.3.3 :)

BTW GSMArena is a really good site to compare specs:

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3391&idPhone2=3516

siread(Posted 2012) [#13]
I have plumped for the Orange San Francisco II, direct from Orange. Only £10 more than the SF1 and at £110 for a brand new device it sounds like a bargain. My wife will probably take ownership of it anyway so I decided it was worth the small step up from the SF1 with a better camera, processor etc, but it's still a fairly low-spec device. :)

matt(Posted 2012) [#14]
I'm running Cyanogenmod 7.1.0 (Android 2.3.7) on my SF. I also use SetCPU to overlock to 725MHz when connected over USB so my apps run a little faster and smoother during testing. Of course I also test at standard 600MHz speed.

DruggedBunny(Posted 2012) [#15]
Cool -- in fairness the camera on the SF1 is absolutely terrible, but I knew that before I bought it.

@matt: Mine's running a custom Android 2.2 ROM, but I can't remember which one!

Oops, you posted just before me, Matt. Where did you download your ROM? I see the ZTE Blade version here -- is that it?

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/devices/zte-blade

matt(Posted 2012) [#16]
As mine is a Gen1 SF I upgraded from CyanogenMod 7.0.x (2.3.3) to 7.1.0 (2.3.7) using cm7-n257-blade-gen1-to-gen2-tpt.zip at this page:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1258855

Backup
Do upgrade
Sign in google account on phone
Restore selected app backups
Reboot
Job done.

Android 2.3.7 is noticably better on the SF than 2.3.3

DruggedBunny(Posted 2012) [#17]
Interesting -- I noticed on the CM page that they wouldn't support Gen1 devices (like mine) from 7.0.2 onwards, so it's good to hear it's possible to get it working! Might have a go soon...

matt(Posted 2012) [#18]
Yeah, I was stuck until I found the info above. Glad to now have further options!