Amazon Kindle Fire

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/Amazon Kindle Fire

Alex(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hello!

Amazon Kindle Fire seems to be the good reason to make a build for android!

Has anyone tried to?

It suports 2.3.3 Platform. API level 10.

I have 2 questions.
1. Is there any way to make an app fullscreen? The status bar with the clock and battery is always shown. Or should I just decrease my app height?

2. Did someone tried to make an inapp purchase module for android?

anawiki(Posted 2011) [#2]
From what I read Kindle Fire is pretty low spec, so unless it sold loads of units, you will find more issues with it than with other things. I have Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" and it's 2x slower than iPad 1 or even iPod. Surely, I'll make a build for that target, but playing on it or developing for it is not a pleasure.

My app is full screen, so I don't know what is your issue.

No IAP module yet.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2011) [#3]
I wouldn't say the Galaxy tab 7 is 2x slower than iPad. Slower yes, but not bad. I haven't seen the Fire yet.

benmc(Posted 2011) [#4]
I would say that the millions and millions of Android phone owners is a much better reason to develop for Android. I've been quite successful in the Android Market for almost 2 years now and hope to continue that success with my Monkey games.

Alex(Posted 2011) [#5]
Kindle Fire was sold millions of copies in November! That's a good start!
And I tried to run my app on it. Kindle Fire isn't slow at all.
Also it has 512 Mb RAM. Wich is great too!
There were many apps released for Kindle Fire already.

MonkeyPig(Posted 2011) [#6]
I picked up a Kindle Fire and was able to get my App running on it with minimal problems (I needed to install Google USB driver and update to latest Android SDK). Framerate was very good (especially compared to my old target device - LG Optimus V). The app is an old school platformer - with a few layers of parallax.

Not touched it since, but it will be my target of choice moving forward.