Andriod sales?

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/Andriod sales?

Tibit(Posted 2011) [#1]
You guys working on Andriod, I was just curious to hear how you are doing since I have heard from several sources that Android is a bit tougher than iOS for example.

If you wish to share, what is you experience?

Bladko(Posted 2011) [#2]
here are my thoughts

possible direct revenue
* android < ios

possible indirect revenue
* android > ios

development difficulties
* android > ios

summary in a long term
* android = ios

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#3]
I will release my game in 2-3 weeks for all targets. I will share everything then.

Tibit(Posted 2011) [#4]
@ Bladum, yeah I agree long term Andriod will be BIG. Just curious, what do you mean by indirect revenue? :)

Awesome Xaron! I'm looking forward to that!

I'll release on iOS first myself, will let you know how that goes!

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#5]
Just curious, what do you mean by indirect revenue? :)

I'd assume things like banner ads and such, where the game is free for the end user, but you receive money from the advertisers.

Bladko(Posted 2011) [#6]
direct is simple just download game and pay for it

indirect is much more profitable but also clever
ads, iap, different sales model, paypal, donate, added value from social plugins, does brand is well know around the web (brand ads), cups, t-shirts, workshops stuff like this... it could be more then 90% of total revenue.

take a look on notHappy Birds.... they earn the most on what is free

MikeHart(Posted 2011) [#7]
At first I was very positive about the commercial part with android. As Android users are more used to free stuff and the pirate rate is even higher there, i thought that Ads are the way to go there. Now i read more and more about adblockers being used. These symptoms clearly show, that the open way of Android is really bad for developers compared to IOS. i am not sure if it is worth it.

Bladko(Posted 2011) [#8]
@Mike
don't think like a developer in case of revenue. Simple example of indirect income on android:
- make a great android game which will be free and will make users to record videos from the game and share it on youtube
- your game / brand will be famous enough to start your own official channel
- with enough viewers you can become YouTube partner and earn from Google on ads displayed in Your channel

for such purpose android is great but this is mainly out of range for most of indie developers. Its like sales driven development.

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#9]
Another thing is that you still need a credit card for Google's checkout, which is one reason for lower sales. I will have a lite version with ads and a full one without and I'm curious how this will play out for the 3 target platforms.