Problems with first time image draws

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/Problems with first time image draws

benmc(Posted 2011) [#1]
I don't know if others have experienced the same, but for me, the first time an image is drawn on Android devices, it's slower than all the other times it draws thereafter.

So, if my game has a lot of images, the first time a certain one is drawn, I experience some "choppiness" in my game, but every draw after that, it works fine.

So, in my loading screen, I draw the images in the background behind a full screen images one time each before proceeding to start the game play sequence, and I don't get the choppiness anymore.

The reason I bring it up here is because I don't know if this is a bug in Monkey or a common issue with Android and if any others have the same problem.

NOTE: I do not have this problem on any other targets.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#2]
The slowness you are seeing is the images being cached to the GPU. What I tend to do is pretty similar to you: Once all the images are loaded is draw them off screen during the Loading Screen part of my games.

MikeHart(Posted 2011) [#3]
The reason I bring it up here is because I don't know if this is a bug in Monkey or a common issue with Android and if any others have the same problem.

I think it is a Android limitation/problem.