Updating a game on the app market

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/Updating a game on the app market

dave.h(Posted 2011) [#1]
hi guys just something im not quite sure about.If i update an app by adding more levels to it in the app store do people automatically have access to it just by updating their app.Thats not very clear is it.I mean if they payed for the app do they still get access to the new version without paying again.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#2]
Yes... when you upload a new version to the same "page", the next time they log into the Android Market there is a section about updated products which they have installed on their devices - all they need to do is download the update :)

MikeHart(Posted 2011) [#3]
Make sure you raise the version number or they won't get a notification about the update.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#4]
I thought it forces you to up the version number anyway? Its been a few months since I last did it...

dave.h(Posted 2011) [#5]
ok thanks for that

MikeHart(Posted 2011) [#6]
I mean this entry in the androidmanefest.xml file in your build folder

android:versionCode="1"

You need to change this to have the updates automatated. Want you enter in Version Name or in the website is irrelevant for this.

dave.h(Posted 2011) [#7]
yes but i also seem to remember a post somewhere that theres a problem if you use a point in it. EG you have do use

android:versionCode="101"

instead of

android:versionCode="1.01"

at least thats the way i understood it im not sure as ive not tried it yet

MikeHart(Posted 2011) [#8]
Verison code is an integer number. The user won't see it at any time. It is just for the market to indicate that the version is different. Of course, you want to raise the number with every version. So, just use 1, 2 3, 4, 5, etc.

Version Name is the one you see in the app list on the phone.

dave.h(Posted 2011) [#9]
ah good to know thanks for pointing this out