What do these stack traces mean?

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/What do these stack traces mean?

matty(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi all,

My app has had a couple of errors which were reported to my Android Developer account. Only problem is I don't know what they mean. Is anyone able to shed some light on how to read these stack traces, and/or what they mean? I'm a bit in the dark when it comes to this. It looks to me like it is something to do with a sound??

Activity com.soniq.lockdownnecrosis1/.MonkeyGame
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cause ANR keyDispatchingTimedOut
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

muddy_shoes(Posted 2011) [#2]
The meat is here:

at com.soniq.lockdownnecrosis1.gxtkApp.InvokeOnUpdate(MonkeyGame.java:~469)
  - waiting to lock <0x45846118> (a com.soniq.lockdownnecrosis1.bb_app_AppDevice) held by threadid=9 (GLThread 10)

Looks like there's an issue with contention between the main thread and the rendering thread.

matty(Posted 2011) [#3]
Thanks muddy_shoes, unfortunately though I still don't really know what that means "contention between main thread and rendering thread"?

Still game works on most people's phones....

muddy_shoes(Posted 2011) [#4]
I'm not very knowledgeable about multi-threading but I assume that the GL thread is holding onto a lock on the AppDevice instance and causing a deadlock in the app as a whole. There's nothing in the trace that tells you explicitly what is causing the problem beyond the fact that the Main thread is waiting for the lock and the GL thread is the drawArray call as part of the overall Flush operation.

Presumably, the traces are from the same person just a few minutes apart, so it seems to be repeatable. Did they say if there were certain actions that caused the problem or is it just happening as soon as they load or start a level? It could be a bug in the GL driver on particular phones, I guess. Then again it could be a mojo issue that is only apparent in certain situations.

Sorry, but I can't be of much more help. Perhaps someone else more familiar with these sorts of problems can chime in, but all I can suggest is trying to gather more data about the issue.

matty(Posted 2011) [#5]
Thanks muddy_shoes - I'm not able to contact the user who this happened with - I'm not given that information by google. Over 600 users installed the app in the last two days and I've only had the one error report so I'm guessing it is not too widespread...hopefully. The error report is automatically generated.

Thanks for your help though.

Matt