OpenGL + Android

Monkey Targets Forums/Android/OpenGL + Android

Grover(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi, Im fairly new to Monkey, but a long time Blitz fan (from Amiga days :) ). Im wondering how do I go about using the OpenGL ES libraries of android within Monkey (is this possible?).

I have experience with C++ and many other languages, so if I need to write some binding code thats no problem. If someone can point me to some documentation, and/or references to get me started that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance.

Grover(Posted 2011) [#2]
Ok. I think I have figured some of this out. It looks like I need to build a module that wraps the OpenGLES interface to each of the target platforms. As far as I can tell Id need a 1:1 mapping for Android, GLW, iOS and STDCPP. Flash will need mapping to the Flash3D api, and HTML to WebGL.

Any tips on doing this? I'm hoping to make this available once its working.
Cheers...

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2011) [#3]
I don't think Mark has done this yet, but it seems from some of his postings that he is working on this. You may have to email him directly to get a discreet answer.

Grover(Posted 2011) [#4]
no probs.. I have managed a basic working android one already. As far as I can tell, the only problem platform will be XNA, but I'll map that to DirectX. I really like the flexibility of Monkey, its quite a brilliant framework.

I should point out, Im working toward having something like Unity built (3D Editing tool suite and frame work) so making apps can be extremely simple (visual scripting system and such too). Also port some of the Blitz stuff I have done. Its been fun and interesting so far, looking forward to find out where it goes :)